Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Streaming VidAngel-- RBR40

JR_WEBS
Aspirant

Streaming VidAngel-- RBR40

Team-- we use VidAngel to stream shows and movies from Netflix and Amazon through AppleTV. VidAngel allows you to mute "F-Bombs" and other language, as well as other inappropriate content. For some reason we are not able to stream (app goes into an endless buffering mode) in the evenings during Primetime (7 to 11 pm). Seems to work fine at other times during the day. I was convinced that it was an issue with VidAngel as we were able to stream the shows through their native apps (Netflix and Amazon) at the exact same time. Worked with VidAngel and they claimed all was well with their service. In addition to seeing this problem with AppleTV, we also had the same problem with our iPhones and iPads. I tested VidAngel's belief that it could be something to do with the Router or ISP by turning off the network and streaming from my iPhone using the cell service. The application worked fine during those problem hours. I am using an Orbi RBR40 front ending Internet Service from Centurylink. Trying to determine if this is an issue with Orbi or Centurylink. Prior to installing Orbi all seemed to run well with Centurylink.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

JRW

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

Did you activate Disney Circle on the Orbi?

Message 2 of 13
plemans
Guru

What modem are you running from centurylink?

I usually see them install combo devices (modem/router all in one). These tend to leave you with a double nat which can create just the problem that you're running into plus others.  

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

If you're basically using the orbi for wireless coverage, you can switch it to AP mode and that'll fix the double nat problem. (if thats whats going on)

Otherwise you'd need to put the cenurylink device in passthrough or modem only mode. 

Message 3 of 13
JR_WEBS
Aspirant

Yes-- Orbi is handling all the WiFi. Centurylink Wifi has been disabled and simply passing through.

Message 4 of 13
JR_WEBS
Aspirant

Not sure what that has to do with my issue.

Message 5 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you sure the modem is fully bridged? Just turning OFF the wifi on the modem is not enough. The modem has to be bridged or use its DMZ or IP Pass Through feature for the Orbi RBR in router mode. Or use the modem as your router and set the RBR for AP mode. 

Message 6 of 13
plemans
Guru

@FURRYe38 beat me to it!

Message 7 of 13
JR_WEBS
Aspirant

Hmmmm! I do not have my Orbi set to AP Mode, but rather Router mode. Not sure if I am fully bridged or not within Centurylink. With that said, why does everything work fine during daytime hours with the VidAngel Service, but go buffer into mode from 7 to 11 pm regardless of the settings???

Message 8 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Proababy more users on the service during those time frames? 

Maybe more people at home around your negiborhood. Cable ISP servcies is effected by more people on a cable line system.

Need to verify that your modem is bridged if possible or use the DMZ for the Orbi if you want to run the Orbi in router mode. 

You might try using the ISP modem in router mode and configure the Orbi for AP mode and see if you notice same time frames when the streaming services are working or not. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 9 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

I asked about Disney Circle because "things not working at certain times" sounds suspiciously like something is enforcing "Parental Control" in an unexpected way.  If Disney Circle is NOT activated on the Orbi, then it cannot be causing a problem.  If it IS activated, hmmmm.

Message 10 of 13
JR_WEBS
Aspirant

Thank you for the recommendations. I'll give them a try. Had the same questions regarding neighborhood traffic, but other streaming services (Netflix and Amazon) run perfectly fine during the times I have buffering issues with VidAngel.

Message 11 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Of there services work and this one particular one doesn't, possible a issue at this partcular service as well. 

Message 12 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

I found nothing on the Disney Circle forum about VidAngel, but Oh, Goodness.  Do a Google search for "VidAngel buffering"

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7