Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Streaming problems on NETGEAR - Orbi AC1200 Dual-Band Mesh Wi-Fi System

ryank94
Aspirant

Streaming problems on NETGEAR - Orbi AC1200 Dual-Band Mesh Wi-Fi System

We live in a rural area and don't have much to choose from for internet. We currently have the ATT Nighthawk Hotspot for our internet. We get good service at our house. We usually get around 30-60mbps with it. I recently just bought the NETGEAR - Orbi AC1200 Dual-Band Mesh Wi-Fi System to help boost our signal. We also just cancelled our direct TV to just use streaming services. However, since trying to use YouTube TV, we cannot get it to stop buffering. It plays fine on lower quality up to about 360p and sometimes 480p. Anything above that, it buffers and freezes on me. Currently using a Amazon Fire Stick 4k, an older model Fire TV and my PlayStation 4. It streamed fine on my PlayStation and on my phone which are both on the same wifi. What is causing the Amazon devices to stall out on me? I've tried resetting and reinstalling everything but nothing seems to work. When I run a speed test on my phone it gives me about 120mbps but on my PlayStation it says 55mbps. Speed tests on the Amazon devices show anywhere from 30 to 60 as well. Im not sure why there's such a difference in speeds either.

Message 1 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Streaming problems on NETGEAR - Orbi AC1200 Dual-Band Mesh Wi-Fi System

@ryank94 wrote:

We live in a rural area and don't have much to choose from for internet. We currently have the ATT Nighthawk Hotspot for our internet. We get good service at our house. We usually get around 30-60mbps with it. I recently just bought the NETGEAR - Orbi AC1200 Dual-Band Mesh Wi-Fi System to help boost our signal. We also just cancelled our direct TV to just use streaming services. However, since trying to use YouTube TV, we cannot get it to stop buffering. It plays fine on lower quality up to about 360p and sometimes 480p. Anything above that, it buffers and freezes on me. Currently using a Amazon Fire Stick 4k, an older model Fire TV and my PlayStation 4. It streamed fine on my PlayStation and on my phone which are both on the same wifi. What is causing the Amazon devices to stall out on me? I've tried resetting and reinstalling everything but nothing seems to work. When I run a speed test on my phone it gives me about 120mbps but on my PlayStation it says 55mbps. Speed tests on the Amazon devices show anywhere from 30 to 60 as well. Im not sure why there's such a difference in speeds either.

"AC1200" is a crude sort of "speed number", not a product model number.  My guess is the issue is with the ATT Hotspot. A phone's tiny screen cannot possibly use as much bandwidth as a regular television screen.

This is just a personal observation, but my feeling is that most of the people looking to "cut the cord" have a lot higher internet service than an LTE Hot Spot.

Message 2 of 7
ryank94
Aspirant

Well how come we are able to play online gaming on the PlayStation without any problems?
Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

If you're running the hotspot and the router, is the hotspot in passthrough mode or the router in AP (access point) mode? 

Message 4 of 7
ryank94
Aspirant

I changed the orbi router to AP mode. I haven't changed anything on the hotspot.
Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

If you speedtest off the orbi, what speeds do you get?

not just download but upload too. gaming is more sensitive to upload than streaming is. 

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Gaming data streams take up less bandwidth than video streams. 

@ryank94 wrote:
Well how come we are able to play online gaming on the PlayStation without any problems?

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7