Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Stuck in the middle?

BarryTreg
Apprentice

Stuck in the middle?

I've one satellite, about 30ft away from the base. My system is very stable now under 2.4.1.16.

But, one odd thing I see is in  my home my bedroom is about half way between the 2 units, and when I use my lenovo yoga book tablet in the bedroom the connection drops and reconnects every few minutes. Streaming is not interrupted, but I get disconnect and reconnect messages. This doesn't happen anywhere else!

So I am thinking the tablet may be swapping continually between satellite and base. Would that make sense in explaining the drops and reconnects?

So is there a stuck in the middle issue? and any settings I can tweak to prevent this?

Daisy chain off

MIMO off

Fast roaming off

Daisy chain off

all transmit powers at 100%

20/40 Mhz coex on.

2.4 channel Auto

5 channel 36

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Stuck in the middle?

Try manual channel 1, 6 or 11. 

IF this is the only device doing this, maybe something with the device thats not working well with the orbi. 

As a test, turn OFF the satellite, does this device keep connected or still lose connection? 

Does the device do this closer to the satellite? 

Sate the system been powered OFF for 1 minute then back on after the FW was updated? 

Message 2 of 7
st_shaw
Master

In general, you should set the router manually to channel 1, 6, or 11 on 2.4 GHz.

Yes, this can happen if devices are right in the middle.

You could move either the router or the satellite, so one is stronger in the bedroom.

Message 3 of 7
BarryTreg
Apprentice

Hi,

Well, I changed the channel to 6 and it seems to have stopped the disconnect and reconnect. Thanks for suggestion. 

Looks like the satellite hooked into more wireless devices as well.

Couple of observations:

1) the satellite now shows up in router as a connected device, not as a connected satellite

2) satellite stays on channel 13. I am assuming this is 'cos i haven't rebooted the satellite after changing to channel 6.

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Try rebooting the satellite, then the router and let it come to ready. Should appear as a connected satellite...

Message 5 of 7
BarryTreg
Apprentice

Did all the reboots etc... So then the disconnects went away but has been replaced with buffering on video and audio streaming. Tried to set it all back to what is was, but can't stop this buffering. 

So, given up now on using Orbi as a router and switched to AP mode. So far, that seems to have fixed it all up.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad AP mode is working. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements