Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Suggested on Modem/gateway for RBR50

stevep422
Aspirant

Suggested on Modem/gateway for RBR50

I'm looking for suggestions on a reliable modem/router gateway for my RBR50.  The existing Netgear AC1200, Model R6220 needs to be replaced.  I'm using the Orbi soley for wifi connections throughout the 7,000 sqft facility. 

The provider fiber optic connection/speeds are minimal 80Mb down and 50Mb up.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Suggested on Modem/gateway for RBR50

Contact your ISP and ask them what modem or ONT maybe needed for there services. 

A modem or ONT with out built in router and wireless IS preferred. If they support cable modems then Netgears CM1000, 1100 or 1150v are good modems. 

30 feet is recommended in between Orbi base and satellite to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Message 2 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@stevep422 wrote:

I'm looking for suggestions on a reliable modem/router gateway for my RBR50.  The existing Netgear AC1200, Model R6220 needs to be replaced. 

I sometimes dread calling Customer "Service".  My ISP (Spectrum) has a web page listing authorized modems.  Your ISP may as well.

Message 3 of 7
stevep422
Aspirant

Actually I called them today to ask that question.  The service provider is the local power company.  They didn't recommend anything.  I guess what I'm really wondering since I need something in front of the RBR50 is there a particular model router that would work best?  It's not a cable connection.  Or, should I not even worry about it?

Message 4 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@stevep422 wrote:

Actually I called them today to ask that question.  The service provider is the local power company.  They didn't recommend anything.  I guess what I'm really wondering since I need something in front of the RBR50 is there a particular model router that would work best?  It's not a cable connection.  Or, should I not even worry about it?

The consensus on the forum is that you want only one router between you and the ISP and only one WiFi network.  Since a "modem only" device is less expensive than a "modem/router", the typical purchase would be a DOCSIS 3.0 "modem" and let the Orbi perform the router functions.  There are some people who have specific router needs that they feel the Orbi does not fulfill, so they opt to purchase a "modem/router? and put the Orbi into Access Point (AP) mode.  My guess is that you do not fall into that category.

If the fiber unit has an RJ45 (ethernet) connector instead of a coax (cable) connector, I would first try plugging the Orbi directly into the fiber unit.

Message 5 of 7
stevep422
Aspirant

"If the fiber unit has an RJ45 (ethernet) connector instead of a coax (cable) connector, I would first try plugging the Orbi directly into the fiber unit."

So I connected the Orbi directly and everything worked fine.  I'm not sure why I had it in my head I had to have a modem in front of it.  I've moved all the wired and wireless devices in our facility over and everything is working fine. 

Thanks to everyone for thier suggestions!

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it's working well. Enjoy. 

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know for future reference. 

@stevep422 wrote:

"If the fiber unit has an RJ45 (ethernet) connector instead of a coax (cable) connector, I would first try plugging the Orbi directly into the fiber unit."

So I connected the Orbi directly and everything worked fine.  I'm not sure why I had it in my head I had to have a modem in front of it.  I've moved all the wired and wireless devices in our facility over and everything is working fine. 

Thanks to everyone for thier suggestions!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7