Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Suggestions... Need to update my system?? R7000 & EX6200 to an RBK50???

pwc_brick
Aspirant

Suggestions... Need to update my system?? R7000 & EX6200 to an RBK50???

Good day,

I currently have a R7000 in my basement as my main router and an EX6200 as an extender on the main floor.  I get pretty good coverage however the EX6200 seems to be failing a little more and think it may be time to replace either it or my whole system.  Been looking at the OrbiRBK50 mesh system however keep on reading about how mesh systems operate and not sure if this may be in my best interest.  

I currently have my pool control system (aquaconnect) and phillips hue lights connected to my extender via eithernet cables.  Now with the mesh system would I have to worry about the lights and pool system constantly jumping between the 2.5ghz and 5ghz bands (constantly disconnecting and re-connecting) or is there a way to lock those two particular items into a certian band so it doesn't connect/re-connect all the time???? 

Thoughts comments???

Please and thanks

Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Suggestions... Need to update my system?? R7000 & EX6200 to an RBK50???

How big is your home? SqFt?

The orbi system is a single SSID name and auto assigned/connection system thats based on what client HW supports. So it will pick either 2.4Ghz or 5ghz and if it's better on 5Ghz then it will connect it there if the conditions are good. If 2.4Ghz only devices then the router will only allow connections to the 2.4Ghz radio. NG doesn't support disabling of the smart connect system on Orbi.

I have a 5000 sq ft home and use the 40 series router with a RBS20 series satellite. 40 feet in between the router and satelliet. Coverage and performance is great with 3 cameras, two NEST, 2 xboxes, DISH system, and everthing else.

Message 2 of 3
pwc_brick
Aspirant

Re: Suggestions... Need to update my system?? R7000 & EX6200 to an RBK50???

Wow, thanks for the quick reply... Approx 2800 sq feet.  Not so worried about coverage as much as dropped connections (been reading alot about them, but figure most of it was with the new ethernet backhaul and/or items that are moving around constantly).  But I'm thinking since the items I would have connected to the satalite would be stationary it should just pick a band and stick with it instead of bouncing around.  Main reason was lookig at orbi was because of the ethernet ports on the satalite and the possibillity of adding the RBS50y outdoor to the pool cabana down the road...

Thanks again

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7