Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Suitability of Orbi system

quentinj
Follower

Suitability of Orbi system

Hi,

Our family home was recently built and ethernet plugs are in every room around the house. These are linked to the basement, where the internet company modem is to provide internet.

This is great for wired devices, however the floor doesn't let Wi-Fi through very well.

As it stands, the simple solution was to install router on each floor with separate networks for each floor.

I have therefore been looking to improve this by installing a mesh network so that a single network can be used throughout the house.

The Orbi system seems to do that.

However, I am unclear with the satellites. 

I understand the main unit can connect directly to the internet source through ethernet. But I would like clarification - do the satellites connect to the main unit through Wi-Fi (so they are basically expanders, if incoming signal if weak, internet speed will be low) or can I connect them through ethernet ports directly to the main unit?

Or does someone have an alternative solution to create a single Wi-Fi network for the house?

(I currently own a Nighthawk R7000 and a Netgear R6220 and a smaller JWNR2010, if these could be put to other use!)

Thanks a lot for the help

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Suitability of Orbi system

Yes, the Orbi product is designed so that satellites can connect to the base unit (router) either over a separate 5G WiFi channel or over a wired ethernet cable.  (Or, some of each!)  The Orbi would replace the existing R7000 router.  This creates one seamless WiFi network, with the same name (SSID) on every floor for both 2.4G and 5G connections.

Almost every WiFi vendor has a "mesh" product these days, and each has distinct "lovers" and "haters".  You might spend a few minutes browsing the user forums and reading reviews.  Those of us on this forum obviously have purchased Orbi and are most familiar with it and have almost no familiarity with other brands.  I have installed Orbi in two houses and been very happy with it.

This is an awkward time to be purchasing expensive WiFi.  The "emerging standard, WiFi 6" is coming out and every manufacturer is bringing out new mesh systems that will take advantage of new capabilities.  Netgear's WiFi 6 Orbi will start shipping in a month or so.  It is dramatically more expensive than the current Orbi, and many of us are waiting to see what "early adopters" think of it.  I feel no sense of urgency because there are only a handful of devices on the market which take advantage of WiFi 6 and I do not own any of them.

Lord, how I envy people with ethernet cables in the walls!

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Suitability of Orbi system

Yes, the Orbi product is designed so that satellites can connect to the base unit (router) either over a separate 5G WiFi channel or over a wired ethernet cable.  (Or, some of each!)  The Orbi would replace the existing R7000 router.  This creates one seamless WiFi network, with the same name (SSID) on every floor for both 2.4G and 5G connections.

Almost every WiFi vendor has a "mesh" product these days, and each has distinct "lovers" and "haters".  You might spend a few minutes browsing the user forums and reading reviews.  Those of us on this forum obviously have purchased Orbi and are most familiar with it and have almost no familiarity with other brands.  I have installed Orbi in two houses and been very happy with it.

This is an awkward time to be purchasing expensive WiFi.  The "emerging standard, WiFi 6" is coming out and every manufacturer is bringing out new mesh systems that will take advantage of new capabilities.  Netgear's WiFi 6 Orbi will start shipping in a month or so.  It is dramatically more expensive than the current Orbi, and many of us are waiting to see what "early adopters" think of it.  I feel no sense of urgency because there are only a handful of devices on the market which take advantage of WiFi 6 and I do not own any of them.

Lord, how I envy people with ethernet cables in the walls!

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7