Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Support for vLAN tagging?

Support for vLAN tagging?

As per the title, when will vLAN tagging support be added into the Orbi system natively? Currently I am running the Orbi through a cheap and (not so) cheerful router provided by Vodafone which has native support for vLAN tagging to authenticate us onto the network - less than ideal. I was disappointed to find that this option wasn't available in the settings despite being available on the Nighthawk routers and having paid so much (and heard such great things) for Orbi.

Thanks, 

Josh

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Basic VLAN is supported by ORBI a more advanced version of the VLAN tagging is coming in near future.

DarrenM

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7

All Replies
captbrando2
Guide

I will second this request. There is a real need for a mesh WiFi setup that will work in AP mode to tie a VLAN to an SSID. Guys, why are you not opening this feature up? You clearly have the knowledge and capability as you solved the problem for Singapore. What about the rest of us?

Message 2 of 7
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Basic VLAN is supported by ORBI a more advanced version of the VLAN tagging is coming in near future.

DarrenM

Message 3 of 7
PhilNoSpill
Initiate

I'll 3rd this request.   This would be nice for NZ customers who require the WAN port to be  tagged as VLAN10 for ISP connectivity.  Without it the RBK40 / RBS40 units can operate as APs only hanging of the back of another cheap router.

Message 4 of 7

Phil, I've since updated the firmware and it supports VLAN tagging for ISP connectivity - I use it with Vodafone's "FibreX" directly into the Orbi router. Go to the advanced tab and you can configure VLAN tagging as per your ISP under one of the bottom sidebar tabs from memory.
Message 5 of 7
PhilNoSpill
Initiate

AH - looks like it was resolved for the RBK50 units.  I'm still waiting on a response for the RB40R / RBK40 from Netgear.  The latest firmware I got (1.11.0.20 still doesnt have the feature under advanced settings).   Either way it makes the "Easy Setup" a bit of a nightmare in NZ currently.

Message 6 of 7
Algester
Guide

Hi,

I recently got the AC3000 but am having trouble connecting to TPG NBN connection here in Australia. The requirement is: 

"...For TPG NBN, you need to enable VLAN tagging and set the WAN VLAN ID = 2. Should be listed as an option called VLAN or 802.1Q..."

I also have a R7000 and the TPG connection works fine but with the RBR50 in router mode the vlan tagging doesnt seem to work for me. So currently running the RBR50 in access mode.

Anybody else on TPG having this problem? or any suggestions?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7