Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Swapping Xfinity Xb3 gateway with Xfinity Xb6 and Orbi AC3000

Tgterm
Guide

Swapping Xfinity Xb3 gateway with Xfinity Xb6 and Orbi AC3000

Hi -

I just received my replacement Xfinity Xb6 Modem/Router, which will replace the older Xb3 Gateway I have been using in Bridge Mode with my Orbi Router and Sats.  I was hoping someone could suggest the best approach to doing this swap, as most of the Xfinity material presumes that you will use their device as both a modem and a router. 

Do I:

1) get the Xb6 up and running on both its internal modem and wifi capability, then

2) connect my Orbi router to the modem and hope for the best, then

3) once I have established wifi with my Orbi, set the Xb6 to Bridge Mode (my Orbi is already in Router mode from the previous set up)?

Is this how it should work?

Thank you!

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

Message 2 of 4
Tgterm
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

I do plan to put the Xb6 in Bridge mode after I install it, but my question has more to do with the order in which I should do things.  Could you please comment on these steps?  Thanks!:

1) get the Xb6 up and running on both its internal modem and wifi capability, then

2) connect my Orbi router to the modem and hope for the best, then

3) once I have established wifi with my Orbi, set the Xb6 to Bridge Mode (my Orbi is already in Router mode from the previous set up)?

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Put the modem in bridge mode first. The connect the Orbi up. You might walk thru the setup wizard on the Orbi at this point. After you get the modem in bridge mode, power it and the Orbi OFF. Then power ON the modem and let it sync, then power On the Orbi router and walk thru the setup wizard. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7