Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Switching between 2.4g and 5g.

KeithI
Aspirant

Switching between 2.4g and 5g.

My wifi security cameras are reporting poor wifi connection (despite only being about 20 ft from the Orbi satellite.  In the documentation for the cameras (Swann Smart Security Cameras) it says " If the camera is connected on a 5GHz network, try changing to a 2.4GHz network instead as this band, in general, is better for long range connections and may improve signal quality."  I'd like to try this, so how do I go about it on my Orbi network?

Model: RBK30| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Orbi systems are based on Automatic assignment of devices based with what devices support, signal and range and using 1 SSID for both radios. Orbi doesn't officially support separating SSIDs since this is a MESH system which is all automatic using 1 SSID by design.

If you place one of these cameras in close range, doe it connect to the 5ghz portion of the system?

You might disable MIMO, Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming and test...

Set manual channel 48 on 5Ghz

Message 2 of 5
st_shaw
Master

Message 3 of 5
KeithI
Aspirant

@st_shaw wrote:

You would have to try the approach in this thread:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/How-to-set-a-separate-SSID-for-the-5-GHz-network-on-your-Orbi/...

Thanks for this.  I think I understand what I need to do according to that thread.  I may try it.

Model: RBK30| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 4 of 5
KeithI
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Orbi systems are based on Automatic assignment of devices based with what devices support, signal and range and using 1 SSID for both radios. Orbi doesn't officially support separating SSIDs since this is a MESH system which is all automatic using 1 SSID by design.

If you place one of these cameras in close range, doe it connect to the 5ghz portion of the system?

You might disable MIMO, Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming and test...

Set manual channel 48 on 5Ghz

Many thanks.  Both cameras are reported as being on 5G in the Orbi router info.  They were set up about 2 feet from the router and then placed, temporarily about where I need them. I think MIMO etc is disabled (no check mark against them in the router pages). Set manual channel 48?  Where do I do that?

The cameras report the signal strngth as 6% & 1% and are located no more than about 6m or so from the satellite with one single brick wall between.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7