Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Synology DS918 access only via ipAddr instead of Hostname using ORBI

jetguat
Tutor

Synology DS918 access only via ipAddr instead of Hostname using ORBI

I have a Synology DS918 network shared on my home network.  its connected via ethernet.
I have an ORBI system that provides the wifi to the house.

The two desktop PCs are conencted to the ethernet lan, running windows 10. Then can map the network drive (windows 10) using something like \\mediastation\Documents.

However on the laptops that connect via wifi, they are unable to map the network work share using that same method.  Eventually I found I could map to the network share using \\192.168.1.133\Documents

I've read and searched around trying to figure out why the laptops cannot resole the hostname for the Synology.   I've come up empty handed, so I thought perhaps is something with the ORBI setup that is preventing it.

The ethernet lan is 192.168.1.1, whereas the wifi lan the ORBI puts out is 172.16.0.x

I have fiber to the home.  Fiber comes into a Nokia box, ethernet into a ZyXel Lan/Wifi router.  I have wifi disabled on that ZyXel, so it only povides the 192.18.x.x ethernet.  The Orbi, the two PCs, and a netgear Ethernet hub are also connected to the ZyXel.  Orbi puts out the 172.16.x.x wifi lan.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  How can I get my devices that connect via wifi to have access to the machines on the ethernet lan, without needing to use the ipAddr, rather then the hostname.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Ha_Ku_Na
Luminary

I think you run the ORBI in router mode. Either connect all devices (wired ones) to the ORBI's or set the ORBI to AP mode. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
Ha_Ku_Na
Luminary

I think you run the ORBI in router mode. Either connect all devices (wired ones) to the ORBI's or set the ORBI to AP mode. 

Message 2 of 5
jetguat
Tutor

Hi.  I can try that.   I've been trying to access the orbi via ethernet, and maybe thats not allowed.
when I use the ORBI app,  I have gone through (I thought) all the menu options.  

I am not seeing anywhere that indicates that the ORBI router or satellite are acting in AP mode or any other mode.
where do I verify or change those settings?

Update:  I found that I can only connect directly to the ORBI if the accessing pc is on the same network.  Since the orbi provides wifi, not ethernet.  accessing the orbi with the ethernet didnt seem to work.  however I could use orbilogin.com   via my mobile browser and see the setup and config.  I see how within advanced router settings there is the Operation mode.   

I cannot find the manuals that explain these operations modes.  So what should I expect if I change to AP mode?

Message 3 of 5
jetguat
Tutor

The solution - thanks for the assistance - was to setup the ORBI into the Access Point (AP) operational mode.  I could not figure how to tod that initial, as I was unable to access the orbi directly.  Once I accessed the ORBI via a mobile browser connected on the same network via wifi, then I was able to get into the configuration and change the operational mode.

all is well.  Thanks for the help and assistance

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements