Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Synology NAS 216+ not visible from Orbi Minirouter RBK40

agolebio
Aspirant

Synology NAS 216+ not visible from Orbi Minirouter RBK40

Hi All,

I am trying to connect Synology NAS 216+ into my home network without success.

Orbi is set up as a router, there is nothing in between the ISP and Orbi. There are 3 devices hardwired (3 LAN ports) all work fine, I disconnected one, to connect Synology NAS. It is not recognized by Orbi - port is down. Synology also shows no LAN light.

I tried different ports to no avail. I tried a different cable, same thing.

I connected NAS directly to the PC having setup up DHCP server. Upon cable connection, LAN LED lights up on the DS216+.

DHCP server distributes addresses for PC and NAS. I can connect to the NAS to configure it, but no go when connected to Orbi.

The router (RBK40) has latest firmware installed available on the Netgear’s website.

I think itcould be a configuration problem of some kind...

I would appreciate your pointers.

Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Synology NAS 216+ not visible from Orbi Minirouter RBK40

If other devices are working when connected to the RBR and the NAS doesn't and you have swapped LAN cables. Possible bad port on the NAS or it's configuration or IP address scheme doesn't match 192.168.1.###. You'll need to contact the Mfr of the NAS for support, help and additional information regarding there product. 

Message 2 of 11
agolebio
Aspirant

Already raised a support case @ Netgear and Synology.

Message 3 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@agolebio wrote:

Orbi is set up as a router, there is nothing in between the ISP and Orbi. There are 3 devices hardwired (3 LAN ports) all work fine, I disconnected one, to connect Synology NAS. It is not recognized by Orbi - port is down. Synology also shows no LAN light.

This is one of the times I wish Netgear had spent the extra $0.10 to put status LED's on the Orbi LAN ports.

Is this correct:

• Connect NAS to Orbi LAN port.
    Power on NAS.
    No status LED on the NAS. (Orbi doesn't have one.)
    Orbi "Show Statistics" (On the web interface,Advanced Tab, Home Page) shows the port is down.
    Change ethernet cables and same thing happens.
  • Connect something else to the Orbi LAN port with same cable and get a connection. (LED and web page)
  • Connect NAS to PC with same cable and get status LED's on both NAS and PC.

Do you have a cheap ethernet switch that could be put between the Orbi and NAS?  Connect whatever was originally in that LAN port to the switch, and then add the NAS.

Obviously, I "got nothin" and am flailing for a clue.  If this issue does get resolved, PLEASE post the solution.

Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

One good way to tell about LAN activity, install a non manged non green ethernet Gb LAN switch behing the RBR. Then connect you LAN devices to this switch. Switch do have activity LED indications which are helpful. 

@agolebio wrote:

Already raised a support case @ Netgear and Synology.

Message 5 of 11
agolebio
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

@agolebio wrote:

This is one of the times I wish Netgear had spent the extra $0.10 to put status LED's on the Orbi LAN ports.

Is this correct:

Power on NAS.
    Orbi "Show Statistics" (On the web interface,Advanced Tab, Home Page) shows the port is down.
  • Connect something else to the Orbi LAN port with same cable and get a connection. (LED and web page)

this is correect

Do you have a cheap ethernet switch that could be put between the Orbi and NAS?  Connect whatever was originally in that LAN port to the switch, and then add the NAS.

Obviously, I "got nothin" and am flailing for a clue.  If this issue does get resolved, PLEASE post the solution.

I used an old TPLink router, which I have connected to the Netgear Orbi. First, I've reset it factory defaults and performed a new set up. It connected fine, was assigned a different IP address (different subnet though - 192.168.0.1 vs 192.168.1.1 Orbi).

In any case, I have conneced Synology to the TPLink unit, having DHCP settings on the DS216+.

It is not detected by the TPLink either. The port is down, as if nothing was conneted to it. The logs show nothing. It never requests an IP address from the unit (checked logs, nothing in there while the LANcable is connceted/disconnected)

It is exactly the same with Orbi.

Having synology on a static IP doesn't help either.... There is jus no hardware connection when LAN cable is inserted. The light never lights up on the NAS, whereas when you connect it to PC, the light it on instantly, without even perforgming any kind of configuration.

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

If you are using two routers with different IP addresses, then you will have to manually map drive to where the NAS is connected. Otherwise the NAS will not be seen from 192.168.0.# to 192.168.1.# where the NAS is connected. To change this, you'll need to eliminate one of the routers. If you use the TPLink as your main router, then configure the Orbi for AP mode, then everything connected to the Orbi will see the NAS. Or remove the TPLink and use the RBR as your main and only router. 

@agolebio wrote:

@CrimpOn wrote:

@agolebio wrote:

Is this correct:

Power on NAS.

this is correect

I used an old TPLink router, which I have connected to the Netgear Orbi. First, I've reset it factory defaults and performed a new set up. It connected fine, was assigned a different IP address (different subnet though - 192.168.0.1 vs 192.168.1.1 Orbi).

In any case, I have conneced Synology to the TPLink unit, having DHCP settings on the DS216+.

It is not detected by the TPLink either. The port is down, as if nothing was conneted to it. The logs show nothing. It never requests an IP address from the unit (checked logs, nothing in there while the LANcable is connceted/disconnected)

It is exactly the same with Orbi.

Having synology on a static IP doesn't help either.... There is jus no hardware connection when LAN cable is inserted. The light never lights up on the NAS, whereas when you connect it to PC, the light it on instantly, without even perforgming any kind of configuration.

Message 7 of 11
agolebio
Aspirant

Hi.

I am using one router only (Orbi)I took my old TPLINK router i had lying around just for test purposes, configured it as a pass through unit.
Either way same thing happens when ds216 is connected to tplink. There is no link up when I connect.
Tplink does not detect the NAS. For some reason the port is not even lighting up.

See my last post and read it through till the end.
Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

IF the TPLink doesn't see the connection then I would presume there is a problem with the NAS unit and needs to be looked at. You'll need to contact the NAS Mfr and ask them for help and information regarding this. 

Message 9 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@agolebio wrote:

I connected NAS directly to the PC having setup up DHCP server. Upon cable connection, LAN LED lights up on the DS216+.

DHCP server distributes addresses for PC and NAS. I can connect to the NAS to configure it, but no go when connected to Orbi.

Can you please describe more about how this test was performed?  (Sort of selfish on my part.  This may be something I want to try in the future. I do not see DHCP Server as a Windows feature that can be enabled from the Control Panel.)

Thanks

Message 10 of 11
agolebio
Aspirant

Sure,

Here you go...

We can use an open source software called DHCP server for Windows, it is not built into Windows. You have to download this software, install it and create a self-hosted DHCP server on your own computer to get IP addresses for your Windows system and connected NAS BOX. This will provide an IP address to both of them and the result you get; your NAS box starts communicating directly with your Windows PC using ethernet RJ45 LAN cable. This is applicable to any type of NAS box.

Here is a step by step guide including screenshots : How to connect Synology NAS directly to pc without router & external DHCP

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7