Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Synology NAS connection dropping with Netgear Orbi

badgerduck
Aspirant

Synology NAS connection dropping with Netgear Orbi

I have an Orbi and its been working fine for nearly 3 years. About 8 months ago my Synology NAS started dropping off the network every so often (every couple of weeks) I thought it was the NAS crashing so did a lot of housekeeping on it but didn't fix it. Its quite old and I was going to upgrade anyway so I did. However I'm getting the same issue with the new model (another Synology). The Orbi just stops being able to see it (it's wired directly to the Orbi). I originally had the NAS's set to fixed IPs outside the DHCP range that the Orbi was sending out and have never had any issues before this. They're now set to DHCP with reservations but still getting the same issue. Rebooting the Orbi fixes it so I am now pretty sure it's the Orbi that has the problem.

I'm guessing it was a firmware update on the Orbi that did it at some point but not really sure.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Synology NAS connection dropping with Netgear Orbi

Something to contact Synology support and get help and information regarding there product.

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AC products:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/bd-p/Orbi

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you.

Message 2 of 4
Mikey94025
Hero

@badgerduck wrote:

The Orbi just stops being able to see it (it's wired directly to the Orbi). I originally had the NAS's set to fixed IPs outside the DHCP range that the Orbi was sending out and have never had any issues before this. They're now set to DHCP with reservations but still getting the same issue. Rebooting the Orbi fixes it so I am now pretty sure it's the Orbi that has the problem.

To be clear, the Synology is directly wired to the RBR50 and there is no network switch in-between?  And when you attempt to reach the Synology, what type of client and how is it connected to the Orbi network (wired, wireless)?  You are probably right, but for investigation putposes the best test case would be a laptop wired to the RBR50 trying to reach the Synology wired also to the same RBR50.

Message 3 of 4
badgerduck
Aspirant

Thanks for the response. Yes. NAS is wired straight into to the Orbi. I have switched the cat 5 cables and changed the port many times... Connection fails from any client. Laptop / mobile device apps etc. just lose connection. DLNA clients can no longer see DLNA broadcasts. Can't even ping the IP, I get a destination host unreachable not a request timed out error. All the clients are wifi connected, I don't have any other permanently wired clients so I might plug my Raspberry Pi in to the Orbi too and see what happens to that. When it happened last night I checked the Orbi and there were no wired devices showing as connected. I rebooted it (kids asleep so I had a handy maintenance window) and the NAS reappeared on the device list on the Orbi. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7