Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: TCL Roku TV (r617) has bandwidth issues on Orbi 5GHz band

PSUHammer
Luminary

TCL Roku TV (r617) has bandwidth issues on Orbi 5GHz band

I am running a Plex server on my LAN and all of my devices are full Gig Ethernet except for my TCL Roku TV which is only 10/100. This presents a challenge when streaming uncompressed UHD Blu Ray content from my server. Buffering happens when the bit rate tops 100 mbps.

In comes Orbi WiFi to save the day! Or so I thought. At first my TV would not connect to the 5GHz band (need ac wireless speeds). My phone, when placed next to the TV, connects to 5GHz just fine. I proceed to separate the SSIDs via Telnet successfully. I then commence to test. I am able to choose and connect to both bands now. The problem is that throughput is slower than expected. It is even worse over 5GHz. Again, I was able to test throughput on my phone at the same spot for over 250mbps on 5GHz 802.11ac. The Roku TV works better on 2.4GHz but I still get buffering when content is pushing 90 to 100 mbps bitrate over the LAN.

The same media plays fine on another machine using GB Ethernet. I am also able to stream to the phone.

Anyone know of any issues with Rokus and connecting to Orbi at 802..11ac speeds?
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
PSUHammer
Luminary

So, after much deliberation, I solved my issue.  I had to buy an Nvidia Shield with a full gig Ethernet port to use for streaming to this TV.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 13

All Replies

If no one can suggest wifi tweaks, it might be a good idea to check out with the Roku experts – I don't see much traffic on that topic here.

When you say:

Buffering happens when the bit rate tops 100 mbps.

it is hard to see how you can do much about that if 100 Mbps is all the TV can handle, but one way to squeeze a bit more out of the network might be a wired connection to the TV. Wired always beats wifi. Does the TCL Roku TV support wired LAN?

If you can't run wires around the place, then you can now get Powerline Networking that Gb Ethernet. People often overlook Powerline, partly because the original implementations were less than great. Things have moved on since then,

Message 2 of 13
PSUHammer
Luminary

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the suggestions.  Unfortunately, as I stated, the NIC on the TV only supports 10/100 and is not full gig.  Major oversight by Roku/TCL in my opinion, especailly now with UHD content going over 100mbps occasionally.

This should not be a major issue as the Wireless radio does support 802.11ac.  Using my Samsung Galaxy S8+, I am able to pass over 270mbps over the Orbi 5GHz band.  In theory, and on paper, the TV should do the same.  But I am only seeing speeds of about 40-50mbps on the 5GHz band through the TV itself.

I have a suspicion that it has to do with the TV/Roku wireless driver.  It doesn't seem to really support 802.11ac speeds.

For the record, I have the Orbi base sitting right next to the TV.

Message 3 of 13

@PSUHammer wrote:

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the suggestions.  Unfortunately, as I stated, the NIC on the TV only supports 10/100 and is not full gig.  Major oversight by Roku/TCL in my opinion, especailly now with UHD content going over 100mbps occasionally.

My point was that 100 Mbps wired (Powerline) LAN might be better than whatever you are getting with wifi.

For the record, I have the Orbi base sitting right next to the TV.

Should be easy then to wire the TV to the network. No harm in trying, especially if it does track back to the TV's wifi drivers.

Message 4 of 13
PSUHammer
Luminary

I probably should have been more clear. I always go wired first for my media streaming devices. UHD content buffers over Ethernet which led me to realizing the NiC in the TV was only 10/100. This is the reason I was attempting wifi as the theoretical throughput of 802.11ac is much higher than the 100mbps that the NIC is limited to.
Message 5 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

What are the connection rates supported by the TV for its wireless adapter? 

Message 6 of 13
PSUHammer
Luminary

The TV is advertised as supporting 802.11ac 2x2 Dual Band (support 2.4GHz & 5GHz).  This is consistent with most newer Roku streaming devices.

Again, I have to think the issue is in the firmware on the TV.  The strange thing is the TV prefers the 2.4GHz signal over the 5GHz signal.

Message 7 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Check to see if there is any FW updates for the TV. 

Connection rates I was referencing were if the Mfr of the TV mentioned anywhere about what rate speeds the TV supports, not modes. Smoething like 300-600mb on 2.4Ghz or 867-1300Mb on 5Ghz? These are connetion rates. 

Message 8 of 13
PSUHammer
Luminary

Gotcha. As it is a Roku TV, it uses Roku firmware and is always up to date with what is available. Unfortunately, Roku and TCL do not advertise those details. I can ask. Their wireless settings are very dumbed down and basic.
Message 9 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, ya sometimes you can get those details which for some of us, is important. It's nice to know what devices at actually connecting at with the wireless radios. If your trying to stream 1080p or 4k and the TV is only connecting at say 867mb on 5Ghz AC, then is may or may not be good enough to handle the bandwidth needed by the streaming data. 1300Mb would be best. However for simple low video or music, 300Mb to 867 works ok. This would be helpful to know what the TV is actually connecting at. Something Roku should know about. 

Message 10 of 13
PSUHammer
Luminary

So, after much deliberation, I solved my issue.  I had to buy an Nvidia Shield with a full gig Ethernet port to use for streaming to this TV.

Message 11 of 13
PSUHammer
Luminary

Forgot to add...I spoke to TCL and have been working with Roku.  Neither publish or give out more Wireless specs than what is available in their menus on the TV.  It's too bad as they give very little data.

Message 12 of 13
PSUHammer
Luminary

I have no idea of this is the Orbi's fault or if it is TCL/Roku.  The TV just updated to Roku version 9.0 which adds more details to the Network status page in their menu.  They now show the tested bandwidth throughput for each network connection.  Here is what I found:

So, my TCL TV just updated to v9.0.  This has added the bitrate line to the network status page.  I tested all three of my network options.  Here is what the Roku finds:

1)  Ethernet = 95 Mbps (no surprise)
2)  Wifi 5GHz band = 46 Mbps (crappy with 802.11ac)
2)  Wifi 2.4 GHz band = 76 Mbps (fine for N)

Mind you, the Orbi base router is literally 8 inches from the TV and my phone pulls 270 Mbps on the 5GHz band.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7