Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

TP-Link Deco M5 Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi System

tmarsh12345
Tutor

TP-Link Deco M5 Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi System

Just bought the Deco M5  mesh system.  Haven't set it up yet, just wanting to know about the wifi setup.  As I understand it, the system will give me another wifi network, is that correct?  If so, can I/should I disable my existing from the router?

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
tmarsh12345
Tutor

Re: TP-Link Deco M5 Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi System

Sorry guys!  The eagle-eyed among you will have noticed that I have posted this in the wrong community!

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
tmarsh12345
Tutor

Sorry guys!  The eagle-eyed among you will have noticed that I have posted this in the wrong community!

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@tmarsh12345 wrote:

Just bought the Deco M5  mesh system.  Haven't set it up yet, just wanting to know about the wifi setup.  As I understand it, the system will give me another wifi network, is that correct?  If so, can I/should I disable my existing wifi from the router?

The question is not unique to Deco, and is in two parts.

• Most users would rather not have two WiFi radios competing very close to each other.  I, personally, am not convinced that it causes a massive problem, but common sense says that it is not "better" than having only one. The new WiFi system is to take the place of the previous one, so the previous WiFi should be disabled.
  • Every time I install a new WiFi router, I give it exactly the same SSID/password as the one that is being replaced. That means (a) none of my devices have to be reconfigured. They will attach to the new system automaticaly. (b) If I decide to "go back", all I have to do is reverse the process. Unplug the new router. Plug in the old router, and all devices connect automatically.  If you follow this practice, then the previous WiFi has to be disabled so that devices always pick the right system.

Message 3 of 4
tmarsh12345
Tutor

Thanks.  That's exactly what I did and that's what happened, all my devices working as normal.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7