Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: TP-link switch sg-108 wont connect to internet

Bayamon62
Guide

TP-link switch sg-108 wont connect to internet

After connecting my Orbi RBK33 ( rbr-40 router) my TP-Link TL-SG-108 ethernet switch will not connet to internet ,i have a ethernet cable from the orbi to the 8 port switch and nothing connected to it can connect the internet ( it was working fine when connected to my ASUS RTu68)  , i can connect the same cable straight from the ORBI router  to my laptop and access the web , but once i connected to the 8 port switch nothing happens nothing can connect to web , is there a setting i need to change on the router  to make the switch worrk ? Thanks , William

Model: RBK33| Orbi Plug-In WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible the this particular switch maybe the issue. I can't tell for sure if it's managed or not. Seems non mangages however maybe some of the other features this switch has could be causing problems.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-4763_TL-SG108.html

Ensure lan cabling is good as well. Cat 6 recommended

I use these and my orbi works great:

https://www.amazon.com/D-Link-Gigabit-Unmanaged-Desktop-DGS-108/dp/B000BCC0LO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid...

Message 2 of 8
Bayamon62
Guide

Thanks for the reply, no doubt it is the switch , i can connet the cable that came with the router to my samsung smarthings hub and it will be online ,disconect the same cable connected to the unmanaged switch and reconnect the hub to the switch , nothing , the switch was working untili swapped routers so i doubt i went bad just by swapping routers , ill try to connet the switch to my laptop and see if i can figure out what is happening , Thanks .

Model: RBK33| Orbi Plug-In WiFi System
Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if you find out anything...

Message 4 of 8
waynealight
Apprentice

that is a unmanaged switch.  should be automatic.  do the lights on the switch light up for activity?  just making sure you are using a switch port and not the internet port of the router?

Message 5 of 8
thombe
Apprentice

I have the TL-SG-108E which is managed. (v3)

I read somewhere before (can't remember full details) but if you have the E managed model try disabling the IGMP Snooping.

I'm not currently using it with my Orbi as I'm experimenting wiht my previous Asus routers since they introduced AIMESH.

(1x DSL-AC68U and 2x RT-AC68U)  if they are stable then I'll sell my Orbi, only as no need for both.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 6 of 8
BarryTreg
Apprentice

Hi I have this switch on my Orbi working fine. There was a bug in the switch'd firmware where it didn't always save your settings and would revert to defaults when rebooted. This got fixed by installing the latest version of the software. Maybe there's an issue for you there as well?

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if you have had any progress.

@Bayamon62 wrote:

Thanks for the reply, no doubt it is the switch , i can connet the cable that came with the router to my samsung smarthings hub and it will be online ,disconect the same cable connected to the unmanaged switch and reconnect the hub to the switch , nothing , the switch was working untili swapped routers so i doubt i went bad just by swapping routers , ill try to connet the switch to my laptop and see if i can figure out what is happening , Thanks .

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7