Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

TV Streaming with FIOS

Charleyo
Aspirant

TV Streaming with FIOS

I have the rbk20 with one satellite.  My Home is ~2000 sq ft.  Router is on first floor and satellite is on 2nd floor.  My question is why can I stream tv using my fios router but when I use orbi it fails to stream tv.  This doesn't make sense to me because I purchased the product to enhance my home network.  I've looked at settings and my backhaul shows as poor.  Is my only option to move the satellite or purchase an additional satellite to place in between my current config.  Thanks for any help

Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: TV Streaming with FIOS

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Try option #2 or #3. 

Message 2 of 10

@Charleyo wrote:

My question is why can I stream tv using my fios router but when I use orbi it fails to stream tv. 

Probably because your Orbi router is sitting behind a second router.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, as well as the problem you see, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

If you insist on using the fios router as a wifi source, then your best bet would be to put your Orbi into access point mode. A lot of people do that without any harm to their networks.

There is support for the Orbi WiFi System, including a manual, somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> Orbi RBK50 | WiFi System | NETGEAR Support <<<<

See the section Use the Router as a WiFi Access Point.

Message 3 of 10
Charleyo
Aspirant

Thanks for the help.  I used #3 and it seemed to work last night.  However my satellite shows amber so I need to either move it closer to the router or get one more satellite.

Message 4 of 10

@Charleyo wrote:

Thanks for the help.  I used #3 and it seemed to work last night. 

With the Orbi in AP mode you do not need to disable the wifi. Just be careful about what devices connect to.

@Charleyo wrote:

However my satellite shows amber so I need to either move it closer to the router or get one more satellite.

Without more information about your network, it is hard to interpret what is going on there.

Have you tried using the satellite as it is?

The lights may be useful to see what is going on, but the real measure of things is to actually use the network and see what happens.

Message 5 of 10
Charleyo
Aspirant

I have the Fios Quantum Gateway Router in a two story home with concrete walls on the bottom floor where the Gateway and Orbi routers are located.  Main floor is where the bedrooms and living room are located.  Since the current satellite shows amber but works should I get an additional satellite to place between current router and satellite?  If I would have purchased the rbk50 I would be fine but I went cheap and got the rbk20.  I just don't want to waste money for no benefit.  I could also move the Orbi router to the main floor.  I'll try a couple of things before I purchase another satellite. Appreciate everyone's help.

Message 6 of 10
Charleyo
Aspirant

Just a tidbit of info that I learned.  I was preparing to move my orbi router to the main floor.  My first step was to connect a 50ft cat 6 cable to the router to make sure it worked.

It worked but my primary fios network kept taking control from my orbit network.  I thought it was the cable but after a few trials I found I had to turn off auto connect for the fios network.

Things are working fine now and in fact, my satellite now shows green that previously showed amber.  

Just passing on my lessons learned.

Message 7 of 10

@Charleyo wrote:

I could also move the Orbi router to the main floor. I'll try a couple of things before I purchase another satellite.

How will you connect the Orbi router to the FIOS modem/router? It needs to be wired back.

If you can move it, give it a try.

One way to wire an Orbi to a router is with Powerline Networking. I have an Orbi in AP mode attached to a PLP1200 plug.

Message 8 of 10
Charleyo
Aspirant

I was going to hardwire the router but by changing to cat6 cabling seems to have resolved my satellite being amber.  It now shows green.  See my previous response.

Thanks for responding.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

IF your connecting the RBS via ethernet at any point, ensure Diaisy Chain is disabled on the RBR and the RBS is directly connected to the RBR, no the FIOS router.

@Charleyo wrote:

Thanks for the help.  I used #3 and it seemed to work last night.  However my satellite shows amber so I need to either move it closer to the router or get one more satellite.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7