Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: TV's wont connect to new orbi router. Everything else does.

JMckPT
Tutor

TV's wont connect to new orbi router. Everything else does.

Opened case with ORBI customer support but have not heard back.  Contacted spectrum - said to contact ORBI.  Tried everything suggested through TV prompts and everything I could find online. Nothing worked.  Any last suggestions before I return this thing to Amazon?

Message 1 of 25
ekhalil
Master

Can you please give details of what heppens when you try to connect the TV to Orbi.

At which stage to you get issues? Do you reach to selecting the Orbi wireless network?

Message 2 of 25

If everything else connects, that suggests that the TV is the problem.

You don't say what make or model it is, but these things are notoriously picky.

In my case, I abandoned wifi and moved to a wired connection. I use Powerline ethernet because it is easier.

Not only is wired easier to set up, it is faster and more reliable than wifi.

Message 3 of 25
JMckPT
Tutor

It usually says “unable to connect to wireless router”. One time it did say “connected to local network but cannot connect to Internet”. The network shows up but won’t connect.
Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 4 of 25
JMckPT
Tutor

Thank-you. I will definitely look into the wired connection. The TV is a Samsung ES6150 series LED Smart TV. Is it possible for the problem to be with the modem. It was supplied by Spectrum, Arris TM1602AMTA.
Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 5 of 25
ekhalil
Master

This can happen if the TV was connected to Wifi previously on another router using the same SSID. If there is an option in the TV to “reset network settings” then please try that so the TV will forget previous network settings.
You can also try setting a static IP address in the TV.
Message 6 of 25

I don't have a TV, but I have used Samsung BluRay players with internet features. I gave up on wifi after tearing my hair out trying to work with Samsung's wonky wifi technology.

Powerline was my saviour. Set it up some years ago and haven't had to touch it since.

Message 7 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.

@JMckPT wrote:

Opened case with ORBI customer support but have not heard back.  Contacted spectrum - said to contact ORBI.  Tried everything suggested through TV prompts and everything I could find online. Nothing worked.  Any last suggestions before I return this thing to Amazon?

Message 8 of 25
GumDocCO
Tutor

Okay. Here’s my interaction, word-by-word, with Orbi Technical Support regarding my issues connecting my new Samsung 800 Series TV, Amazon Echos, Amazon Fire Stick, and other touchy/sensitive devices. I was using a CenturyLink DSL router with a 40/5 subscription when this all started. Updgrading to a new CL DSL router with a 100/10 subscription didn’t change a thing. Since installing the Orbi system, the CL router was disabled by the installation crew to limit WiFi interference. Not sure if the that was the smartest thing. Likely would have limited my frustration, but the speed would have really lagged not going through the Orbi. Hopefully this helps if your situation is like mine. I just wish NETGEAR would provide some tweaks to their system since my issues aren’t isolated. This problem appears to be rampant. Good luck!
Here is my conversation:
“Can you login to www.orbilogin.net ?
Kean P • 6:48 AM
Trying, but I’m not sure of my user name.
Visitor • 6:50 AM
Username: admin
Password: password (what you registered with)
Kean P • 6:50 AM
Try to proceed on step number 2 on this link if you will not be able to login. https://kb.netgear.com/24220/How-do-I-recover-my-password-on-my-Nighthawk-router
Kean P • 6:51 AM
Got in. It just gives me a screen that tell me that Orbi’s IP number was updated to 10.0.0.1 to avoid conflict with my ISP.
Visitor • 6:53 AM
That means the CL router is not setup to bridge. Can you try to connect your devices that has problems connecting to the internet and check if they are working right now?
Kean P • 6:54 AM
Connect those device to the ORBI WiFi and check if they will be able to browse.
Ok. I’ll try. Hold on.
Visitor • 6:54 AM
Nope. Still gives me a network error.
Visitor • 6:56 AM
The TV says it’s connected to the Orbi with good speed, but no internet.
Visitor • 6:57 AM
My phone is on the same router and working great.
I unplugged the RBW30 satellites to simplify things for now.
Visitor • 6:58 AM
Alright please proceed to BASIC > Internet and make sure that the IP address is on Get dynamically from ISP and the DNS is on get automatically from ISP.
Kean P • 6:59 AM
Then proceed to ADVANCED > Security > Access Control. Make sure that is is on Allow all new devices to connect.
Ok
Visitor • 6:59 AM
Hold on
Confirmed both on BASIC are as you listed.
Visitor • 7:00 AM
ADVANCED is as you stated it should be.
Visitor • 7:01 AM
Is the access control enabled?
Kean P • 7:01 AM
If not please enable it.
Kean P • 7:02 AM
It’s checked. So I assume so.
Visitor • 7:02 AM
Then go back to BASIC > Wireless and change the 2.4GHz channel to 01 and the 5GHz channel to 36. Apply the settings.
Then proceed to ADVANCED > Advance Setup > Wireless Settings and check for CTS/RTS Threshold for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz change the current value to 2304.
Kean P • 7:03 AM
Apply the settings after.
Ok. I got a security warning.
Visitor • 7:04 AM
Says WPA-PSK may only operate up to 54Mbps, not N rate.
Please proceed.
Kean P • 7:05 AM
Says I should use WPA2-PSK. Should I change this?
Visitor • 7:05 AM
Can you please check the security option? Make sure that it is on WPA2-PSK [AES]
Ok, I will.
It’s thinking afte the BASIC changes
Visitor • 7:06 AM
Now going to advanced
Visitor • 7:07 AM
Alright please tell me once done.
Kean P • 7:07 AM
Done
Visitor • 7:10 AM
Alright please disconnect your TV and all other devices to the WiFi and reconnect back to ORBI WiFi,
Kean P • 7:11 AM
Check if you will be able to access the internet now.
Visitor • 7:12 AM
Yes! I can. Thank you!
Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 9 of 25
ekhalil
Master

@GumDocCO wrote:
Okay. Here’s my interaction, word-by-word, with Orbi Technical Support regarding my issues connecting my new Samsung 800 Series TV, Amazon Echos, Amazon Fire Stick, and other touchy/sensitive devices. I was using a CenturyLink DSL router with a 40/5 subscription when this all started. Updgrading to a new CL DSL router with a 100/10 subscription didn’t change a thing. Since installing the Orbi system, the CL router was disabled by the installation crew to limit WiFi interference. Not sure if the that was the smartest thing. Likely would have limited my frustration, but the speed would have really lagged not going through the Orbi. Hopefully this helps if your situation is like mine. I just wish NETGEAR would provide some tweaks to their system since my issues aren’t isolated. This problem appears to be rampant. Good luck!
Here is my conversation:
“Can you login to www.orbilogin.net ?
Kean P • 6:48 AM
Trying, but I’m not sure of my user name.
Visitor • 6:50 AM
Username: admin
Password: password (what you registered with)
Kean P • 6:50 AM
Try to proceed on step number 2 on this link if you will not be able to login. https://kb.netgear.com/24220/How-do-I-recover-my-password-on-my-Nighthawk-router
Kean P • 6:51 AM
Got in. It just gives me a screen that tell me that Orbi’s IP number was updated to 10.0.0.1 to avoid conflict with my ISP.
Visitor • 6:53 AM
That means the CL router is not setup to bridge. Can you try to connect your devices that has problems connecting to the internet and check if they are working right now?
Connect those device to the ORBI WiFi and check if they will be able to browse.
Ok. I’ll try. Hold on.
Visitor • 6:54 AM
Nope. Still gives me a network error.
Visitor • 6:56 AM
The TV says it’s connected to the Orbi with good speed, but no internet.
My phone is on the same router and working great.
I unplugged the RBW30 satellites to simplify things for now.
Visitor • 6:58 AM
Alright please proceed to BASIC > Internet and make sure that the IP address is on Get dynamically from ISP and the DNS is on get automatically from ISP.
Then proceed to ADVANCED > Security > Access Control. Make sure that is is on Allow all new devices to connect.
Ok
Hold on
Confirmed both on BASIC are as you listed.
Visitor • 7:00 AM
ADVANCED is as you stated it should be.
Visitor • 7:01 AM
Is the access control enabled?
Kean P • 7:01 AM
If not please enable it.
It’s checked. So I assume so.
Visitor • 7:02 AM
Then go back to BASIC > Wireless and change the 2.4GHz channel to 01 and the 5GHz channel to 36. Apply the settings.
Then proceed to ADVANCED > Advance Setup > Wireless Settings and check for CTS/RTS Threshold for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz change the current value to 2304.
Apply the settings after.
Ok. I got a security warning.
Says WPA-PSK may only operate up to 54Mbps, not N rate.
Please proceed.
Says I should use WPA2-PSK. Should I change this?
Can you please check the security option? Make sure that it is on WPA2-PSK [AES]
Ok, I will.
It’s thinking afte the BASIC changes
Visitor • 7:06 AM
Now going to advanced
Visitor • 7:07 AM
Alright please tell me once done.
Kean P • 7:07 AM
Done
Visitor • 7:10 AM
Alright please disconnect your TV and all other devices to the WiFi and reconnect back to ORBI WiFi,
Kean P • 7:11 AM
Check if you will be able to access the internet now.
Visitor • 7:12 AM
Yes! I can. Thank you!

Thanks for these details. I'm glad that your contact with NG support resulted in positive improvement. From the details that you listed I guess these what helped:

1. I think this is the most important. There was an IP conflict between your ISP router and Orbi. Orbi now changed to a new IP range (10.0.0.x) which removed the conflict. I gues that you still need to bridge your ISP router or configure the DMZ if you don't want to get more issues in the future.

2. The WPA vs WPA2 might also affected the TV attach procedure.

Message 10 of 25
Jehman
Initiate

I had the same problem with my older Samsung TV. It wouldn't get internet connection via wifi or when Ethernet connected to the satellite. But all my other devices (cameras, phones, etc.) were connecting fine. 

I only made the changes of setting the 2.5 GHz to ch 01 and the 5 GHz to 36 as well as setting the CTS/RTS for both to 2304. TV now connects fine via wifi, as well as all the other devices.

Thanks for posting the transcript, very helpful for my situation.

Message 11 of 25
GumDocCO
Tutor

I’m glad it came in handy. Good luck!
Message 12 of 25
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

Regarding the first poster's question, the modem model posted is a telephony enabled modem without router. No router conflict. Samsung TV's can get finicky about new hookups. When I got my Orbi over a year ago, I fired up the 2016 8 SeriesTV I had the same issue as described by the first poster. Even though I was using the same SSID as before, the TV refused to hook up. I did the normal thing and reinstalled the network, to no avail. I believed there was an issue with the local host that Samsung was using, but really was not sure what was going on. I decided to let the TV really reboot, pulled the power plug and waited 30 seconds and reconnected. Tried again, and went through the internet hook up steps. It connected. There is not enough proof here to say this was not coincidence and this is a fix, but those are the results I got.

Message 13 of 25
beva
Aspirant

I was having the same problem as the other users...couldn't get my TV (Sony Bravia KDL-55EX720 U2) connected to my ORBI. I went through the steps outlined by @GumDocCO and was THRILLED to learn that my TV could now connect. I've spent sooooo much time trying to figure out what was wrong. Thank you so much for posting this valuable information.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 14 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@beva wrote:

I was having the same problem as the other users...couldn't get my TV (Sony Bravia KDL-55EX720 U2) connected to my ORBI. I went through the steps outlined by @GumDocCO and was THRILLED to learn that my TV could now connect. I've spent sooooo much time trying to figure out what was wrong. Thank you so much for posting this valuable information.

Message 15 of 25
GumDocCO
Tutor

Glad I could help. Why NetGear hasn’t fixed this issue is beyond me. Good luck to you!
Message 16 of 25
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Offering some additional experiences I've had about the "unable to connect to internet" scenario.  

I like to use the hardware reset routine in the base and satellite (as opposed to using browser or smartphone app). After the the procedures complete with the requisite blue ring, I saw some of my devices being unable to connect.  

The defaults Netgear chooses for the local subnet conflicts with many Arris and Pace routers.  They both try to use 192.168.1.x.  When logging into the web gui in browser, a message will popup the first time to tell user the router reconfigured the local subnet to 10.0.0.x, and once done all the connectivity issues clear up.  

Also on the ISPs gateway or modem box, it's best to set that up to passthrough or bridge the connection to the Orbi. The installation videos provided by Netgear unfortunately make no mention of this, and could be suggested as an advanced setup step.  My personal preference is to let the Orbi manage my home network traffic rather than just extending the network provided by the Arris device, which IMHO isn't very well designed for today's needs.

Message 17 of 25

@gr8sho wrote:

The defaults Netgear chooses for the local subnet conflicts with many Arris and Pace routers.  They both try to use 192.168.1.x. 

This is an inevitable consequence of putting two routers on one network. Both are trying to allocate IP addresses to things that you connect to your network. No surprise, then, that they get confused. At least Netgear's new stuff has the wit to know that you are trying to create a network with built-in conflicts.

You will find that 192.168.1.x. is an industry thing. Most router makers, for example, take the same approach. So you could say that Arris and Pace chooses the defaults that Netgear adopts.

The answer is to avoid having two routers on the network. That is usually a recipe for headaches no matter who chose the defaults.

The answer is to disable the router bit of everything else and allow one of those routers to manage things. An easy option is to put the Orbi into Access Point mode, as long as you are prepared to lose some of its routing features.

Message 18 of 25
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@michaelkenward wrote:

This is an inevitable consequence of putting two routers on one network. Both are trying to allocate IP addresses to things that you connect to your network. No surprise, then, that they get confused. At least Netgear's new stuff has the wit to know that you are trying to create a network with built-in conflicts.

You will find that 192.168.1.x. is an industry thing. Most router makers, for example, take the same approach. So you could say that Arris and Pace chooses the defaults that Netgear adopts.

The answer is to avoid having two routers on the network. That is usually a recipe for headaches no matter who chose the defaults.

The answer is to disable the router bit of everything else and allow one of those routers to manage things. An easy option is to put the Orbi into Access Point mode, as long as you are prepared to lose some of its routing features.

Users that have Fiber with a standalone ONT box can use the Orbi as the single standalone router.  There's a rather well known hack to allow bypassing ISP gateway box.  

However in some cases like copper DSL, VDSL2 in my case, there is no option to bypass the gateway so stuck having it in the middle.  That's why I'm in favor of setting up the connection to the Orbi in passthrough or DMZ mode, to get it as close to a proper bridged connection as possible.  Seems to work reasonably well.  

Also some of the ISP gateways are used to deliver IPTV traffic.  But I can see the writing on the wall and it will go the way of the dodo in the not too distant future which will be a welcomed simplification of the network topology. 

I havn't tried just running the Orbi as an Access Point mostly because the host router is so buggy I prefer not to use it at all.  The Arris device I have gets firmware updates almost as fast as the Orbi and it's never any fun.  And who wants to pay $300 for a fancy access point anyway.

Message 19 of 25

@gr8sho wrote:

However in some cases like copper DSL, VDSL2 in my case, there is no option to bypass the gateway so stuck having it in the middle.  That's why I'm in favor of setting up the connection to the Orbi in passthrough or DMZ mode, to get it as close to a proper bridged connection as possible.  Seems to work reasonably well.  

That's good advice. Thanks for the reminder. It is one of the regular suggestions made here for dealing with the "two routers" challenge when the pother two approaches don't work. It isn't the easiest thing to set up, hence putting the other ideas first.

Yet another option is to junk the cable/DSL modem/router, especially if it came from an Internet service provider, in favour of a simple modem only device. These basic modems are usually inexpensive and give you more control over your network and the equipment you install. In general standalone routers are more capable, and better supported, than the combination units.

Message 20 of 25
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@michaelkenward wrote:

That's good advice. Thanks for the reminder. It is one of the regular suggestions made here for dealing with the "two routers" challenge when the pother two approaches don't work. It isn't the easiest thing to set up, hence putting the other ideas first.

Yet another option is to junk the cable/DSL modem/router, especially if it came from an Internet service provider, in favour of a simple modem only device. These basic modems are usually inexpensive and give you more control over your network and the equipment you install. In general standalone routers are more capable, and better supported, than the combination units.

If people are saavy enough to avoid the lure and temptation of combo devices.  Even Netgear themselves sell a combo DOCSIS 3.1 / Router combo that's readily available at BB.  If I were to switch back to cable I would most certainly purchase a discrete modem feeding the Orbi.  

As for DSL, at least with ATT not possible to buy your own gateway/modem, so you're stuck with leasing theirs.  If you know the secret sauce as I said for a fiber connection can bypass the gateway and connect the Orbi directly to the ONT.  At least until they close that loophole.

Going back to original point on setup, I haven't run across any Netgear specific advanced setup instructions suggesting anything along the lines of setting a host router in bridged mode, although anyone with experience will know to do it themselves anyway.  

Message 21 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

One thing that the Orbi should be doing, if you reset and walk the setup wizard, if it sees that there is already a device using the NG default IP address, it should automatically avoid using it and change it's own default IP address to something else. If it's not, then NG should be made aware of this. This auto detection of default IP address should be working. 

@gr8sho wrote:

Offering some additional experiences I've had about the "unable to connect to internet" scenario.  

I like to use the hardware reset routine in the base and satellite (as opposed to using browser or smartphone app). After the the procedures complete with the requisite blue ring, I saw some of my devices being unable to connect.  

The defaults Netgear chooses for the local subnet conflicts with many Arris and Pace routers.  They both try to use 192.168.1.x.  When logging into the web gui in browser, a message will popup the first time to tell user the router reconfigured the local subnet to 10.0.0.x, and once done all the connectivity issues clear up.  

Also on the ISPs gateway or modem box, it's best to set that up to passthrough or bridge the connection to the Orbi. The installation videos provided by Netgear unfortunately make no mention of this, and could be suggested as an advanced setup step.  My personal preference is to let the Orbi manage my home network traffic rather than just extending the network provided by the Arris device, which IMHO isn't very well designed for today's needs.

Message 22 of 25
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Not sure I remember seeing this happen when doing from smartphone. With web browser, as soon as you sign into the router the conflict is immediately detected and changed on the fly, even if using the hardware to perform initial setup.
Message 23 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Yest the conflict detect should be working to avoid anything upstream from the RBR if there using the same default IP address. One thing that users can always do, you can change the IP address of the ISP modem LAN side IP address from .1.1 to something else, like 192.168.210.1. That is if users have access to there ISP modems web page. 

Message 24 of 25
randomousity
Luminary

Have you checked the access control settings? Do you have access control enabled, and block new devices as the default setting? If so, then any new (to your network) device you connect will connect to the wifi but be blocked from internet access. You won't be ablethis from your device unless you're able to open a web browser and try to open a page there, at which point you'll get a notice in your browser saying something to the effect of, your internet access has been blocked by your router, and to please contact your administrator.

Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 17 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7