Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Temperature range summerhouse + distance teething troubles

Carnaged
Tutor

Temperature range summerhouse + distance teething troubles

Hi all,

I bought this system to improve my signal at one end of my house and hopefully give me some range into my back garden, I live in the UK in a 3 bedroom semi detached house so its not massive, however I have struggled to get a signal on one side of my house and the garden so I bought the Orbi router and satellite combo.

At first I struggled to get it to work properly as I had the router installed in the corner of my house where the internet comes in and the other Orbi on the second floor of the house at the other end as far away as possible nearest the window onto my back garden. However this did not give me good results on the garden so I moved it downstairs into the kitchen, that has patio doors onto the garden. This is makes the satellite only one room away from the router however.

When on the garden I could not get decent speeds when using either of the locations listed above, although the satellite had the blue light on the top, I then took the satellite into the summerhouse and plugged it in there. Now my speeds are full all over the back garden, I have a full wifi signal in the garden and summerhouse so I can only assume that before I was just too close even at the furthest position in my house.

My only worry now is temperature at night, looking in the manual it says that the low is 0c, at the moment it is warmer than that at night at around 8c but the problem I have now is that when the satellite is in the house it does nothing to improve speed in the back garden, but its not ideal having to think about moving the satellite indoors if it is going to be a cold night. The summerhouse is wood and glass but I bet its only a degree or so warmer than outside at night.

Am I better just using the Orbi when I know if am going to be in the garden, this is a bit of a pain but I don't want to damage it.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 5
TheEther
Guru

There are a few environmental conditions that are unfriendly to electronics:

1. Extreme temperatures
  2. Extreme temperature swings
  3. High humidity

8 °C isn't necessarily extreme, but if the temperature goes from that to, say, 30 °C on a regular basis, then that will be bad.  The temperature swing can cause solder joints to expand and contract to the point where they break.  High humidity, well, I'm sure you know why moisture is bad.

Message 2 of 5
Carnaged
Tutor

Hi,

We might double from 8c at night to 16c but that would be on a very good day, winter would be troublesome due to minus temperatures but I could move the orbi inside in the winter as we wouldn't be in the garden much. 

Ideally I would have the satellite in my house facing onto the garden but I could not seem to get any sort of decent results that way. 

Message 3 of 5
TheEther
Guru

I'm guessing that your house is brick or concrete.  Wi-Fi doesn't penetrate through such materials.  Try placing the satellite near a window facing the garden.

Message 4 of 5
Carnaged
Tutor

Hi, yes it was facing a brick wall so was only offering 2.4ghz onto the garden. The move closer message seems to come on now and again and then disappear but I am getting my full 70Mbps internet outside so not a worry really.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7