Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Tesla goes to sleep

Saguarojoe
Aspirant

Tesla goes to sleep

My Tesla Model 3 has no problem connecting to orbi when the car is awake however Teslas go into a deep sleep mode when parked after a few minutes. It disappears from the network in that state. If Tesla sends an update will Orbi reconnect and send the update?
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
plemans
Guru

Orbi isn't doing the reconnecting. The tesla is. If it wakes up, it'll connect (should). If you're selecting "update later" option when tesla sends you the update, the car should be waking to update at a later time. 

Again, thats all said with a should. If you google "tesla not waking" theres a ton of posts. 

Message 2 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

(Caveat: My experience may not be relevant to yours.)  My Nest thermostat disappears from the list of "Attached Devices" not because it is no longer connected, but because it has not sent/received data lately.  When I open the Nest app on my phone, the thermostat suddenly appears.  What I discovered was that the Nest has an "open connection" to the Nest Cloud (Amazon AWS).

How about two tests:

1. Try to ping the Tesla.  Does it respond?  If so, it is obviously connected.  This is not a "guaranteed test" because many devices (like my IP cameras) do not respond to ping.  So, if the Tesla does not respond to ping, then
  2. Telnet to the Orbi and enter this command:

cat /proc/net/ip_conntrack | grep <ip of Tesla>
    Example: cat /proc/net/ip_conntrack | grep 192.168.1.55

If the Tesla IP address shows up with an open connection to a cloud somewhere, then it should awaken and get the new software.

Message 3 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Not having a Tesla, this may be entirely "off the wall."  Do you have some sort of "Tesla App" on your phone that allows you to do goofy things, like "summon it", start up the heater, blink the lights, or something?  (not the keyfob remote, but an "app"?)

If so, wait until it "goes to sleep" and then see if the app still works.

Message 4 of 10
Saguarojoe
Aspirant

Sounds logical except the car isn’t checking for updates, the factory is letting the car know there is an update and downloads it for the owner to install on their schedule.
Message 5 of 10
Saguarojoe
Aspirant

The waking issues come and go by vehicle and by the Tesla App release. I did a vehicle location with the app and it did show up connected. So perhaps Tesla can do that too.
Message 6 of 10
Saguarojoe
Aspirant

I can’t ping the car but Tesla can but that is easier said than done. Thanks very much for your suggestions
Message 7 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Vehicle location may work over LTE.  Obviously, it's not much use if the vehicle can only be located when connected to the owner's WiFi.  (I would guess "Driveway" every time.)

Message 8 of 10
Saguarojoe
Aspirant

You are on the right track I think. Walking it with the app only doesn’t do it but having me show its location did work. Thanks for your suggestion
Message 9 of 10
Saguarojoe
Aspirant

Actually the location feature works anywhere via cell.
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7