Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: The 2.1.2.18 nightmare, Time stolen from my Sunday to diagnose; I want out of PUSH Updates

sfsdfd
Star

Re: The 2.1.2.18 nightmare

I had intensely awful, network-breaking problems with 2.1.1.16.

After wrestling with it unsuccessfully for days, I rolled back my network to 2.0.0.74. My network stabilized and I encountered no issues for about two weeks. I also turned off automatic firmware update - logging in via Telnet and disabling the options in the config. 

Yesterday, my wife started complaining about bad connectivity with one device (the "my device says it's connected but cannot actually get any data" kind). Around the same time, I started noticing lag on a couple of other devices.

I just discovered why: My router automatically updated itself and the satellites to 2.1.2.18.

This is really offensive, Netgear. I hope you realize the customer goodwill you're burning up with this issue. If 2.1.2.18 proves to be bad and I switch to Linksys Velop (which seems to have a very good user base), I will never buy another Netgear device again.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 26 of 44
Blcklab
Apprentice

I switched to Velop and am very satisfied after 4 days. No reboots. Android/Google devices work fine. Better app.

I did a speed test and the Orbi seemed slightly faster (when it worked) however functionally the velop serves my needs just as fast. Netflix. Nest. Ring. Adt etc. In fact ring seems to connect slightly faster but maybe that is just me.

2800 square ft 2 story. 2 orbi to 2 Velop.

If Netgear sorts this mess out I reckon I can sell them, or give to my daughter when she gets an apartment next school year
Message 27 of 44
Hawk600
Star

I think this mess needs to be escalated to NG higher level management (corporate) I don't think they will like to see all this bad PR that this issue is generating and the headache it is causing to customers.

I had my Orb running 2.0.0.74 solid like a rock until yesterday when they pushed 2.1.2.18 to it and the result was 3 randon reboots in less than 24hrs. And don't tell me it is Android or Google's fault because even if I do have some of them connected, it was never a problem running 2.0.0.74.

I manually downgrade this evening to 2.0.0.74 and so far is stable as before.

Message 28 of 44
Rredman
Initiate

Re: The 2.1.2.18 nightmare, Time stolen from my Sunday to diagnose; I want out of PUSH Updates

I was reading your message about lost time on Sunday fixing your orbi. It was like dejavu because the exact same thing happened to me and I did the exact same steps as you in the exact same order. There was one small thing that did not match your message, I lost time on the very next day Monday 

Message 29 of 44
shanna
Tutor

Wow! Thinking of purchasing an Orbi RBK30 and I am seeing all these issues with the latest firmware. Is there any information on when Netgear is going to fix this? Product is compelling for my home and a friend's but I am not going to purchase with this being such an issue.

Message 30 of 44
Hydro130
Luminary

@shanna wrote:

Wow! Thinking of purchasing an Orbi RBK30 and I am seeing all these issues with the latest firmware. Is there any information on when Netgear is going to fix this? Product is compelling for my home and a friend's but I am not going to purchase with this being such an issue.

There are many of us out there who are very happy with this version of the firmware - my system hasn't had a single hiccup since installing (for the record, I wasn't having any issues with the previous firmware either).  

Mesh routing systems can be a tough nut to crack - there are soooo many variables that can make the the very same hardware units perform great in one person's residence, but totally crappy in some other person's.  

Perhaps I'm just lucky, but my Orbi totally rocks - it's coverage and performance totally smokes every other router I've used (Linksys, Apple, and numerous Asus models).

Message 31 of 44
OrbiDemigod
Apprentice

I despise this router with all my heart. What I once loved, has now turned to detest. Everything the OP has said about this router has been happening to me.

I just wish I didn't spend so much money on this ($400) knowing 6 months down the road it was going to be worthless.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 32 of 44
UnCapitano
Apprentice

So, I had a ton of problems with 2.0.0.74 and 2.1.1.16, but this new one has been rock solid for me.

Honestly, I am unsure of what is causing the different issues that everyone seems to have.  Netgear actually replaced my original router because we could get nowhere with firmware updates.  The new one updated nicely and now I'm back to being the same happy guy I used to be.  

However, it took two months of CRAP to get to this point and it shouldn't have come to that.

Message 33 of 44
Mayhugh1
Apprentice

@UnCapitano wrote:

So, I had a ton of problems with 2.0.0.74 and 2.1.1.16, but this new one has been rock solid for me.

Honestly, I am unsure of what is causing the different issues that everyone seems to have.  Netgear actually replaced my original router because we could get nowhere with firmware updates.  The new one updated nicely and now I'm back to being the same happy guy I used to be.  

However, it took two months of CRAP to get to this point and it shouldn't have come to that.

Unfortunately, with Netgear's forced and unrelenting firmware update policy you'll likely wind up back where you started...

Message 34 of 44
fathobbit
Star

I have the issue where both my satellites would lose internet connectivity only.  So any devices connected to the satellites would just not be able to connect to the internet.  The only way to fix was to restart the router or the satellites.  The router's wifi would work totally fine though. This is so annoying and I thought the latest firmware would fix the issue but 3 days after the update the same thing happened again.  I have a support ticket open, provided all debug logs from satellites and router and still nothing.

Has anyone else noticed that after the latest update the signal strength has reduced.  I have not moved my camera's nor the router or satellites.  I have noticed that some cameras have started to lose signal strength since I have see the signal strength indicator changes from green to orange.  Even though I have internet disconnectivity I never had problems with signal strength though.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 35 of 44
spturnip
Tutor

@Hydro130 wrote:

@shanna wrote:

There are many of us out there who are very happy with this version of the firmware - my system hasn't had a single hiccup since installing (for the record, I wasn't having any issues with the previous firmware either).  

Mesh routing systems can be a tough nut to crack - there are soooo many variables that can make the the very same hardware units perform great in one person's residence, but totally crappy in some other person's.  

Perhaps I'm just lucky, but my Orbi totally rocks - it's coverage and performance totally smokes every other router I've used (Linksys, Apple, and numerous Asus models).

My neighbor and I have the same system AC3000.  I already posted my problem with the firmware crash.  He did not experience any issues, in fact did not know that there was an upgrade.  The difference between our systems is that he uses wireless backhaul for the satellite and I use ethernet backhaul.   One of my learnings from this is to unplug the satellite when I am going to be out of town.  I only need the extended coverage for our cell phones when at home.  All other systems (smart home devices and IP security cameras) are wired or wirelessly connect to the main router.  My logic is that any firmware upgrades will have less chance to go wrong with only the router active.  Now, I hope I remember to do this every trip...

Message 36 of 44
sfsdfd
Star

Update to my post above:

The disconnect problems with my satellites continued to grow worse. Got so bad that I found that my network performance of distant devices improved when I unplugged a nearby satellite.

I poked around for a while with the config pages. I discovered that even though my base station had auto-updated to 2.1.2.8 - contrary to its own configuration! - the base stations were running 2.0.0.74. This is weird, because I'm pretty sure that the base station reported that they had also been updated to 2.1.2.8...

I manually downloaded the 2.1.2.8 RBS50 firmware and pushed it to both of my satellites. So far, satellite performance has actually been quite good.

I'm not going to start hoping that I'm out of the woods, that my firmware troubles are over. The true test will be whether it's still holding up a week from now. But I am mildly encouraged by this initial experience, and others' reports of better experiences with this firmware. 

Message 37 of 44
Rredman
Initiate

For the past few days I have my fingers crossed and knocking on wood hoping that whatever miracle happened continues. I'm not sure whether a magical fairy visited my router in the middle of the night or the last one of 4 reboots did the magic but my RBK50 running 2.1.2.18 firmware is working perfectly. I'll give it a week before I uncross my fingers.
Message 38 of 44
Oceanwaves
Star

Betreff: The 2.1.2.18 nightmare

I wonder why everybody seems to have problems with FW 2.1.2.18 as this is the only FW working w/o problems on my RBR20/RBS20. RBR20 is in AP mode and I need Ethernet backhaul and daisy chain option as I have armored-concrete in the ceiling between 1st (satellite) and 2nd floor (AP) and two simple switches between the AP and the satellite. Last week my whole network was down in the morning because AP and satellite had updated to 2.1.4.10. Downgraded both to 2.1.218 again, disabled auto update as described above and everything was fine.

Until today. Exactly one week after downgrading my Orbis were updated to 2.1.4.10 again automatically. And auto update is still disabled:

root@RBR20:/# nvram show | grep -E "orbi_auto_upgrade|auto_check_for_upgrade|auto_update"
orbi_auto_upgrade=13064382
auto_update=0
auto_check_for_upgrade=0

Network was down again and I downgraded both to 2.1.2.18 again. Still wondering why they were updated automatically.

Message 39 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you try a reboot of the system or full factory reset and set up from scratch after it updated to v2.1.4.10?

@Oceanwaves wrote:

I wonder why everybody seems to have problems with FW 2.1.2.18 as this is the only FW working w/o problems on my RBR20/RBS20. RBR20 is in AP mode and I need Ethernet backhaul and daisy chain option as I have armored-concrete in the ceiling between 1st (satellite) and 2nd floor (AP) and two simple switches between the AP and the satellite. Last week my whole network was down in the morning because AP and satellite had updated to 2.1.4.10. Downgraded both to 2.1.218 again, disabled auto update as described above and everything was fine.

Until today. Exactly one week after downgrading my Orbis were updated to 2.1.4.10 again automatically. And auto update is still disabled:

root@RBR20:/# nvram show | grep -E "orbi_auto_upgrade|auto_check_for_upgrade|auto_update"
orbi_auto_upgrade=13064382
auto_update=0
auto_check_for_upgrade=0

Network was down again and I downgraded both to 2.1.2.18 again. Still wondering why they were updated automatically.

Message 40 of 44
Oceanwaves
Star

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Did you try a reboot of the system or full factory reset and set up from scratch after it updated to v2.1.4.10?

See my reply here.

Message 41 of 44
spturnip
Tutor

Re: The automatic firmware update nightmare, Time stolen from my Sunday to diagnose

Here is an update to my router/satellite reliability experience and firmware push updates. 

About a month ago, while still running 2.1.2.18 my network went down for a random unknown reason.  I fixed the problem by rebooting the satellite.  This makes me suspicous that the satellite(s) reduce overall reliability of the network.  At that point, since my satellite is within good signal strength of the router, I unplugged / abandoned the wired backhaul and went to wireless backhaul. 

I do not have the Netgear app on my moble devices and did not receive or did not see the notice for the upgrade to 2.1.4.10.  The push upgrade went smoothly without a network outage.  I only noticed after checking this community and then confirming with orbilogin.  We have since had a wall added in the exact center of our house.  With the hope of improving overall network reliability, I am tempted to pull CAT5 wires to this point and only use the router without the satellite.  The signal strength should be adequate.  Would still have the advantage of a single wireless connection for both bands (instead of using a traditional dual band router).  Reliability is very important to me as so many Smart Home devices depend on it while I am away.  Thoughts?

Message 42 of 44
Oceanwaves
Star

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I finally managed to update my RBK20 to 2.1.4.10 without breaking my network! The solution was to follow these steps and give the Orbis enough time after each step (I waited between 5 and 10 minutes).

This again shows the risks of automatic updates. As long as the update procedure can't disconnect the ethernet cable and plug it in again after waiting long enough auto update generates only problems here. I wonder whether Netgear tested the update with Ethernet backhaup at all?

Message 43 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you go it working.

Ya I've asked about this issue. Smiley Frustrated

@Oceanwaves wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I finally managed to update my RBK20 to 2.1.4.10 without breaking my network! The solution was to follow these steps and give the Orbis enough time after each step (I waited between 5 and 10 minutes).

This again shows the risks of automatic updates. As long as the update procedure can't disconnect the ethernet cable and plug it in again after waiting long enough auto update generates only problems here. I wonder whether Netgear tested the update with Ethernet backhaup at all?

Message 44 of 44
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7