Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: The Amazon Kindle app, it appears, won't register a device with Amazon over an Orbi installation

cheshbr
Apprentice

The Amazon Kindle app, it appears, won't register a device with Amazon over an Orbi installation.

Today I installed the Amazon Kindle app from the Apple IOS store on two iPads and two iPhones., and then set out to register each device by logging in to my Amazon account.

When I opened the Kindle app on each of the four IOS devices, expecting to enter user-name and password to register themit, an error message popped up, advising me that the Kindle app could not register the IOS device as there was no internet connection, which was not true.  My Orbis were functioning and internet access was verified.  Nevertheless, the four IOS devices refused to connect through the Kindle app, so I used my iPhone as a WiFi Personal Hotspot, which enabled me to register the devices on Amazon so they could run the Kindle app.   Once logged in to the Amazon account each device I switched back to WiFi and all was god after that.  

Has anyone else had difficulty connecting an Amazon Kindle app to Amazon using iPhone and/or iPad on WiFi via a Netgear Orbi system? Would anyone care to try it?  I’d love to know if its a global issue or just one unique to me.

Good luck and thanks

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: The Amazon Kindle app, it appears, won't register a device with Amazon over an Orbi installation

I presume other apps on the Apple devices work while they are connected to the Orbi?

Are the Apple devices connected to the main router or a satellite when this happens?

What FW are you currently using on the Orbi?

What iOS are you using on the Apple devices?

@DarrenM

Message 2 of 6
Mikey94025
Hero

I used the Kindle app on my iPhone and iPad, always with the latest iOS (a new one was released just yesterday), and have never had any problems at home with my Orbi.  However, I've only ever gone through the initial app login/registration process once or a very small number of times and I don't recall whether that was at home or not.  Still, this doesn't seem likely to be an Orbi-specific issue.

Message 3 of 6
cheshbr
Apprentice

Sorry, false alarm.  The problem was a DNS error which prevented access to Amazon, including Kindle.

I have both Australian and US Amazon accounts.  Australia is geofenced and we are denied access to a lot of what Americans and UK internet users take for granted, but its possible to bypass the geoblocks by using certain DNS entries and VPNs to beat the system.  My Kindle account is on Amazon Australia, but my DNS settings earlier today told Amazon I was in America and paradoxically, my Australian Amazon geoblocked American Amazon.   Once again, sorry about the false alarm.

Since installing Orbi FW 2.1.4.16, my Orbis are working in all areas, including Apple Homekit with Lifx.  No more intermittant Lifx disconnects (Lifx just released new FW too) and Homekit shows no Unresponsives either.  All is going well.   

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy now. Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model # of the ISP modem the orbi is connected too?

What DNS addresses is the Orbi using?

@Mikey94025 wrote:

I used the Kindle app on my iPhone and iPad, always with the latest iOS (a new one was released just yesterday), and have never had any problems at home with my Orbi.  However, I've only ever gone through the initial app login/registration process once or a very small number of times and I don't recall whether that was at home or not.  Still, this doesn't seem likely to be an Orbi-specific issue.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7