Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

The Curse of the Changing Names

subarctic
Guide

The Curse of the Changing Names

I've recently been re=victimized by the dreaded "Curse of the Changing Names"--i.e., when I go through the effort to change the name of a device connected to the Orbi network, it typically rapidly changes back to its (usually useless) default. Anyone have a sense of when/if Netgear will finally fix this? I know that this has been a subject of discussion here before, and I've been through the pain of it a few times. Every so often, after an update to the router and/or the app, I change the names of a few devices--hoping things will be different this time. Inevitably, I'm disappointed. This time, things were even stranger than usual. Today I noticed that several of my devices were named as former devices no longer connected to my network. For example, the Orbi decided to tag one of my connected speakers with the name of an old smart phone, and it also christened my printer as an "Apple TV." Prompted by this bizarreness, I took the time and effort to audit my devices MAC address by MAC address and name them properly. Sure enough, shortly after going through all that work, devices have started changing back to their useless, Orbi selected names. I wish Netgear would fix this. In today's connected world, it's an asset to look at a network listing, quickly account for your devices, and identify anything that shouldn't be there. But that process is harder when the names are strings of letters and numbers, or worse nonsensical inaccuracies.
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Re: The Curse of the Changing Names

@subarctic wrote:

I'm on 2.5.0.38.

Device rename was broken on v2.5.0.38, which was pulled from NG support website.  Manually upgrade Orbi/Satellite to the latest firmware version 2.5.1.8, which contains the fixes for device rename issue.

View solution in original post

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 4 of 12

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

My RBR50 remains on firmware 2.3.5.30 and device names "work fine."  Which firmware release are you on?

Message 2 of 12
subarctic
Guide

I'm on 2.5.0.38.

I don't know if I tried renaming devices when I was on 2.3.5.30. But I have tried it several times in the past, on a few different firmware varriants, and the results were similar--sometimes my names "stuck" but most of the time they did not.  This is the first time, however, that the Orbi has assigned my devices inaccurate names.

Message 3 of 12
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@subarctic wrote:

I'm on 2.5.0.38.

Device rename was broken on v2.5.0.38, which was pulled from NG support website.  Manually upgrade Orbi/Satellite to the latest firmware version 2.5.1.8, which contains the fixes for device rename issue.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 4 of 12
subarctic
Guide

Thanks for the advice to manually update the firmware!  In the past, I've only updated via checking for updates in either the app or the web interface.

I've downloaded the firmware updates for both the satellite and the router.  As stated in the manual, I'm trying to update the satellite first--but I'm having no luck.  I've downloaded it, copied the .zip to my desktop, and un-zipped the file.  I've gone into the web interface into the manual update.  I've selected my satellite, clicked "upload" and then "opened" the firmware on my desktop in the mini-browswer window that opens.  But nothing happens.  Am I missing something? 

Thanks for your help and patience.  I'm looking foward to solving this.

Message 5 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

To manually update the satellite, you need to log onto the satellite web page, not the router.
Message 6 of 12
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Assuming you've downloaded the correct FW zip file (RBS50-V2.5.1.8.zip) for Satellite, login to Satellite via its IP address, and upload/update its FW image, RBS50-V2.5.1.8.img, directly.  You can find Satellite's IP via Orbi's Attached Devices page.  While the Satellite is rebooting, you can start uploading/upgrading Orbi FW, RBR50-V2.5.1.8.img. 

Message 7 of 12
subarctic
Guide

Interesting...loosing patience, I moved on to updating the router itself.  That worked.  But I still can't update the satellite--it's still on 2.5.0.38 while the router is now on 2.5.18.  Same problem.  File is on my desktop, but nothing happens when I go into the manual update window and browse to and attempt to open the file--the same process that worked to update the router.

Any ideas?  Is this going to be a problelm for me if I can't update the satellite? And, whether or not I update the satellite, will I ever be able to update again through the app or web interface by checking for updates?

For now, everything seems to be working, though.  And, crucially, the device names seem correct!  Although I am going to double check them with the MAC addresses when I have the chance.

Message 8 of 12
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Nice!  Half way there!

Here is a better instruction on how to upgrade Satellite from NG:

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...

Message 9 of 12
subarctic
Guide

Those intstructions were essentially what I was trying, and that process wasn't working for me.  But, following a suggestion in your earlier post, I logged in directly to the satellite by navigating to its IP address. From that page, I was able to update the firmware.

So...looks like I'm good.  Both Orbi and satellite now on 2.5.1.8.  Going to change the names of my devices (again) and hope for the best.  They were looking correct last night after I updated the router, but it looksl like they reset after I updated the firmware on the satellite.  I'll check back in to confirm that it worked and that the names have held.

One thing that still confuses me is why I had to manually update instead of the system telling me that a new firmware was available when I checked from the app and the web interface.  Is this a beta?  Will I have to conduct every future update manually?

Thanks again!

Message 10 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

@subarctic wrote:

One thing that still confuses me is why I had to manually update instead of the system telling me that a new firmware was available when I checked from the app and the web interface.  Is this a beta?  Will I have to conduct every future update manually?

This is just my opinion, but I think Netgear is not tremendously confident in their firmware updates right now.  They have had a number of embarassing releases where immediately after they promoted it, users found ugly problems.  When enough time has gone by and there are no serious complaints about a firmware release, my bet is that suddenly it will pop up as "available."

And, many of us on the forum maintain, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."  If there is a serious problem that makes a firmware update urgent, Netgear will probably push it without askiing.

Message 11 of 12
subarctic
Guide

Looks like I'm good--twenty four hours and counting and all my names have stuck!  Hope it stays that way...

Frustrating that Netgear seems to be loose with the QC on the firmware updates.  I'll probably stick with this one unless I get one pushed as an update from the device in the app.

Thanks folks!

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7