Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

The Elusive Internet Drops - Wifi AND Ethernet

jbartlett
Follower

The Elusive Internet Drops - Wifi AND Ethernet

I have the RBK50 set (RBR50v2 and RBS50v2) on the latest firmware (V2.7.2.104). The router is in my family room on the 1st floor, and the satellite in the 2nd floor master bedroom on the opposite end of the house. I have the satellite backhaul hardwired over coax using two two moca adapters (goCoax MoCA 2.5Gbps WF-803M). I have Verizon Fios at 400Mbps.

When the system works, it works beautifully and lightening fast.

Lately we've been having seemingly random internet outages.

1. It's effecting both devices on wifi and devices hard-wired in, of which we have several. So I don't believe this is being caused by or is fixable by the many fixes I've seen listed (turn on bean-forming and the such, different SSIDs, change channels).

2. I can "usually" still hit the router when this is happening. Sometimes it's running at regular speed... sometime it loads in what I'll call 14.4 modem speed.

3. If I go to the Verizon ONT in the garage (it's the newer version, with ethernet running to the router in my family room) I see all greens and no failure lights. 

4. If I reset the ONT, the issue will go away after a minute or two of it rebooting and the router reconnecting.

5. If I reboot the router, the issue will go away after several minutes (these Orbis don't have a fast boot cycle unfortunately).

I've already tried shortening the DHCP lease time.

I know this is a shot in the dark, what with all the many people having similar issues, but... any ideas? Any logs I can look at to see what might be going on?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: The Elusive Internet Drops - Wifi AND Ethernet

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and Orbi system been performed since last update?

Try this? 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Another-RBR50-Dropping-Internet-Connection/m-p/1875385/highlig...

Do you have Armor or Circle enabled?

Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: The Elusive Internet Drops - Wifi AND Ethernet

@jbartlett wrote:

I have the RBK50 set (RBR50v2 and RBS50v2) on the latest firmware (V2.7.2.104). The router is in my family room on the 1st floor, and the satellite in the 2nd floor master bedroom on the opposite end of the house. I have the satellite backhaul hardwired over coax using two two moca adapters (goCoax MoCA 2.5Gbps WF-803M). I have Verizon Fios at 400Mbps.

Lately we've been having seemingly random internet outages.

1. It's effecting both devices on wifi and devices hard-wired in, of which we have several. So I don't believe this is being caused by or is fixable by the many fixes I've seen listed (turn on bean-forming and the such, different SSIDs, change channels).

2. I can "usually" still hit the router when this is happening. Sometimes it's running at regular speed... sometime it loads in what I'll call 14.4 modem speed.

3. If I go to the Verizon ONT in the garage (it's the newer version, with ethernet running to the router in my family room) I see all greens and no failure lights. 

4. If I reset the ONT, the issue will go away after a minute or two of it rebooting and the router reconnecting.

5. If I reboot the router, the issue will go away after several minutes (these Orbis don't have a fast boot cycle unfortunately).

Could you clarify that devices connected to both the router and satellite are affected?  (I have limited experience with MoCHA and finally gave up trying to get a good connection in my garage.  Would be fine for weeks and then suddenly "red" - no connection and have to reset all four adapters.  Would be useful to rule out the MoCHA link as part of the problem.)

Can you be more specific about "outage"?  The Orbi RBR50 router, firmware 2.7.2.104, was affected by a bizzare software bug that destroyed DNS address resolution.  When devices could no longer resolve internet URL's to IP addresses, most programs simply "hang".  The definitive test was to attempt to connect to internet resources by IP address rather than URL.  For example, ping IP address 1.1.1.1 (Cloudflare DNS) or 8.8.8.8 (Google DNS).  The "fix" for this specific situation is to go into the Advanced Tab, Advanced Settings, and disable Traffic Meter. There are some (very long) posts on the forum describing the problem and various issues regarding fixes.

Of course, if ping to an IP address no longer works, there is something else going on.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7