Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

The Ethernet cabled connection to my Orbi RBR50 Satelitte keeps dropping but wi-fi connectivity is g

kminor7
Aspirant

The Ethernet cabled connection to my Orbi RBR50 Satelitte keeps dropping but wi-fi connectivity is g

I have a desktop connected via ethernet cable to an Orbi Satelittle connected to my RBR50. 

The network connection keeps dying and the Windows network troubleshooting doesn't initially work.

I have to restart my computer and unplug the ethernet cable during the reboot. After the reboot in this manner, the network will come up fine for a while.

If I don't unplug the ethernet cable during the reboot, the connectivity remains down.

But if I try to "troubleshoot" the network in this scenario after the reboot, it will give me an error message saying that it appears that I have a telephone wire plugged in. If unplug and replug in the ethernet cable and then troubleshoot, it still fails but says it can fix it by running as an administrator. 

That will finally recover the connectivity until it goes down again later the same day.

I thought I perhaps I had a bad cable, but I tried 3 cables that I had around the house and then bought a brand new cable and they all produced the same results.

The Satellite F/W version is V2.3.5.30, H/W Version: RBS50.

Through out all of this the wi-fi connectivity is good with excellent speed test results.

Only the cabled ethernet connection goes down, nothing else.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: The Ethernet cabled connection to my Orbi RBR50 Satelitte keeps dropping but wi-fi connectivity

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the RBS wirelessly or ethernet connected to the RBR? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Does a different PC exhibit the same problem when ethernet connected to the back of the RBS? 

What version of Windows are you using? 

What is the Mfr and Model# of the ethernet adapter on this PC? 

Swap out LAN cables between RBS and PC. 

Ensure your using good quality LAN cables. CAT6 is recommended.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed on the RBR and RBS since last FW update?

@kminor7 wrote:

I have a desktop connected via ethernet cable to an Orbi Satelittle connected to my RBR50. 

The network connection keeps dying and the Windows network troubleshooting doesn't initially work.

I have to restart my computer and unplug the ethernet cable during the reboot. After the reboot in this manner, the network will come up fine for a while.

If I don't unplug the ethernet cable during the reboot, the connectivity remains down.

But if I try to "troubleshoot" the network in this scenario after the reboot, it will give me an error message saying that it appears that I have a telephone wire plugged in. If unplug and replug in the ethernet cable and then troubleshoot, it still fails but says it can fix it by running as an administrator. 

That will finally recover the connectivity until it goes down again later the same day.

I thought I perhaps I had a bad cable, but I tried 3 cables that I had around the house and then bought a brand new cable and they all produced the same results.

The Satellite F/W version is V2.3.5.30, H/W Version: RBS50.

Through out all of this the wi-fi connectivity is good with excellent speed test results.

Only the cabled ethernet connection goes down, nothing else.

Message 2 of 6
kminor7
Aspirant

Re: The Ethernet cabled connection to my Orbi RBR50 Satelitte keeps dropping but wi-fi connectivity

@FURRYe38 

I'll have to check what Cable modem the RBR is connected to. I don't remember off hand and I'm not at home.

The same for the ethernet card manufacturer, but it's an old card as I've had this machine a couple of years - that's one reason why it's connected via ethernet. I never bothered to put a wi-fi card in it as it was always within ethernet cable distance to the cable modem.

(I never had this issue when it was connected to the cable modem. But I moved it from the basement to upstairs and hence needed to connect it via ethernet to the RBS.)

But regarding your other questions...

Sq Ft - maybe 4000 sq ft but that shouldn't matter here. It isn't a "too far" problem.

RBR is in basement, satellite 1 is on ground floor almost right above it. satellite 2 is on the 2nd floor almost above satellite 1.

Multiple devices connected to each RBR/RBS via Wi-fi connections and are rock solid.

There is NO issue from Cable modem to RBR or to either RBS and to any device on the network EXCEPT the one PC connected to RBS 2 via ethernet cable.

As I mentioned, I've tried several ethernet cables that I knew were good and used before, but I finally bought a new one just in case.

I ended up buying this CAT 8 cable which was a bit overkill for my needs but....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QLXC6QR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm using Windows 10.

I have not tried another PC connected to the ethernet connection and am fully prepared for it to be an issue on the PC side, but I'm not sure what I need to update to fix it. All my drivers and Windows installations are up to date. Also as I said, I never had a problem when connecting this PC to the cable modem via ethernet. (I have updated Windows and drivers since though as I tried to resolve this problem.)

My F/W is up to date on the RBR and RBS, but I have not done a factory reset and set up from scratch for the pure reason that all throughput and connections to wi-fi connected devices are good.

Hoping, that there is another answer before having to factory reset.

I was looking for a way to get logs that might tell me what's going on.

The interesting thing is that once it's down, a regular Windows network "troubleshooting" doesn't resolve it. 

I have to go thru at least one machine reboot and either unplug/plug during the reset or do it after and then run the windows network troubleshooter.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Sq Ft - maybe 4000 sq ft but that shouldn't matter here. It isn't a "too far" problem.

RBR is in basement, satellite 1 is on ground floor almost right above it. satellite 2 is on the 2nd floor almost above satellite 1.

This could be a "too close" problem. 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Too close and the wifi signal over lap between the RBR and RBS can cause problems. 

Message 4 of 6
kminor7
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 

@FURRYe38 wrote:

This could be a "too close" problem. 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Too close and the wifi signal over lap between the RBR and RBS can cause problems. 

If that were the issue (being too close), wouldn't it affect all devices includung those connecting via wi-fi?

Wouldn't the RBSs themselves be dropping out?

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

No. 

Need to make sure the distance is about 30 feet. This is optimal starting distance. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7