Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: The case of the disappearing Sonos system...

darreln
Aspirant

The case of the disappearing Sonos system...

I have a Sonos sound system, with 4 speakers and 1 Bridge (for HT). I have the RBR50 router with a satellite, and a RBW30 plug-in AP. Everything has been working flawlessly until recently. Starting a few weeks ago, when pulling up the Sonos app on my phone, it searched for and suddnely could not find any of my set up rooms or speakers. This has happened at least 3 times now, and most recently just now. Testing connectivity with other devices shows that the Internet is up and available, so this issue seems to be isolated to the Sonos system & Orbi network. 

I was unable to get the sonos rooms/speakers to show back up, so I rebooted the RBR50 router and waited about 5 minutes. Then I checked the Sonos app again. Slowly, one by one the set-up rooms & speakers started showing up again, and I was able to play music again.

Anyone have any insight or tips on what's going on here? It is my assumption that this is an Orbi system problem, since rebooting the router appears to fix the issue. Any help on further troubleshooting or analysis would be greatly appreciated. 

Current Firmwares:

Router & Satellite: V2.2.1.210

Satellite Roamer: V2.2.1.204

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

How are the sonos connected? Wirelessly? Wired connections do anything different? 

Lots of issues with Sonos devices and routers. Besure they aren't broadcasting there own wifi as well...

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using? Try WPA2 and AES only and not Auto.

ry disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually. 

Try setting a IP address reservation for the Sonos devices...

Message 2 of 9
darreln
Aspirant

thanks for your reply. Here's my responses. 

How are the sonos connected? Wirelessly? Wired connections do anything different? 

-all wirelessly. I don't have any wired connections nearby the speakers

Lots of issues with Sonos devices and routers. Besure they aren't broadcasting there own wifi as well...

-not sure what that means, do you mean that sonos speakers create their own wifi network? Don't see an option in their app for that..

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

-2,880 modern build, kills wifi dead. Hence the satellite & the plug-in satellite. been working just fine for a long time...

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

-router is in the wiring closet, satellite is upstairs and does show valid connection. plug-in is downstairs within 30 feet i'd say

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

-channel 3 for 2.4 (which I believe sonos uses). 
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

-showing around 10-12...
What WPA security modes are you using? Try WPA2 and AES only and not Auto.

-WPA2 is set

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.

- that's a lot of settings to mess with, I'll take a look at those 🙂 

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Some Sonos do have there own broadcast wifi. Might check in to this to be sure. 

"channel 3 for 2.4 (which I believe sonos uses)." Use channel 1, 6 or 11 on the Orbi. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-amp-Sonos-To-SonosNet-or-not/m-p/1476191#M19861

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? 

Message 4 of 9
darreln
Aspirant

Thanks!

I checked the sonos app, and SonosNet is using Channel 6, whereby Orbi was using Channel 3. I changed the Orbi channel anyways to Channel 1, but I am not sure that there was a conflict per se. 

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, 3 isn't a primary channel, 1, 6 or 11 is. See if this does anything different...

Message 6 of 9
st_shaw
Master

Use CH 11 for Sonos and CH 1 for Orbi, or vice versa.  This is the only configurartion that will avoid channel conflicts.  This is because Orbi uses 40 MHz channel width on 2.4.

Also, be sure to keep some distance between your Orbi units and any of your Sonos components. Orbi can saturate and interfere with Sonos radio comms, even if they are on separate channels.

Lastly, when using Sonosnet, you must have your Sonos devices distributed closely enough to each other,  and powered on, in order to form a complete mesh network.  The Sonos devices hop through each other to share data.  They don't use your WiFi at all.  If one or more of your Sonos devices are too far away from the others, they can drop of the network.

Message 7 of 9
JammasterC
Star

I too was having Sonos dropouts.

I changed the channels on both(1 & 11), but still had issues.

I disconnected the Sonos bridge, went to Wifi mode and have not had a dropout yet.

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for posting your settings. Hope this is helpful. 

FYI about yoru ISP modem:

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@JammasterC wrote:

I too was having Sonos dropouts.

I changed the channels on both(1 & 11), but still had issues.

I disconnected the Sonos bridge, went to Wifi mode and have not had a dropout yet.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7