Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

The connected device list is just plan wrong.

FredMac
Follower

The connected device list is just plan wrong.

I have an Orbi CBR40 (v2.3.5.12) with one RBS20 satellite (v2.3.5.30) I use an iPhone 11 for the Orbi app (v2.0.6.12) I purchased this setup expressly so I could manage my router from my phone (replacing a perfectly good Netgear router/modem). But every time I try to check on the router using the app - I am beyond frustrated. I have absolutely no idea how it generates the list of connected devices. On my TV streaming Netflix and the TV is not in the list of devices. Which is actually a good thing because if a friend comes over and their phone connects to my wifi and it does show up, it still shows a week after they have left. Several times I have been viewing the list of connected devices only to realize the phone I am using isn’t on the list. Plug in a hardwired ethernet device, and it will not show in the device list until I boot the router. And forget trying to lock access for a hardwire device, it doesn’t work. If you edit a device from the “Device Manager” screen, you can only change the name. If you edit a device from the “Network Map” you get a completely different screen where you can change the name and the device type. However, you can’t tell the device type description until after you hit save, really??? It’s like playing that old TV game show called Concentration. And there is a device type of “home office”, what is that?? And there is no device type for IOT, really???? What device type am I supposed to use for my frig, thermostat, and sprinkler system. Every time I boot the CBR40 (unplug it to try to get things to show up on the device list), the app shows the satellite needs a firmware update. The update screen shows the firmware version of the CBR40 instead of the satellite and wants to update to the version the satellite is already at. And if I connect directly (using a browser), it shows the satellite signal as poor, but the app on my phone shows a green dot meaning everything is ok. Really??? And what good is being able to monitor your router from your phone if it doesn’t have an option to show you the “currently active connections”, the ones pulling bandwidth. Last and least, starting a new discussion on this board – You can’t enter model, and location has a list of models. Perfect. Wow, I feel better, thanks for listening. Fred Atlanta, GA
Message 1 of 2
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Re: The connected device list is just plan wrong.

Sounds like you should do a factory reset of your ORBI system (both the router and satellite) and reconfigure your system from scratch. It is possible that during a past firmware update some file(s) got corrupted causing the confusion you're seeing. DO NOT re-configure using a backup config file! That file may include any corrupt firmware.  

After reconfiguring from scratch, allow the ORBI to "settle" for 12-24 hours before attempting any changes. For whatever reason (probably backhaul connectivity), the ORBI needs time to stabilize and corrrectly display your devices.

Good Luck!

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7