Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: The end of iOS disconnections after changing one setting

jmbarbs
Apprentice

The end of iOS disconnections after changing one setting

After returning my orbi due to iOS disconnections I purchased a velop  which I wasn't happy with. I decided to try orbi again and got a replacement. 

As with the first orbi unit, the disconnections began again with iOS devices. I read somewhere that changing the transmit power control from 100% down to 25% on the 2.4ghz network resolved the disconnect issues. 

I can confirm that since I have changed this setting I haven't had a single disconnection. 

Hope this helps 

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 12
cue003
Apprentice

Have you had any loss in coverage or performance by reducing the transmit power control down to 25%? Is this something done on the router or the satellite or on all Orbis?
Message 2 of 12
jmbarbs
Apprentice

Hi

not had any noticable loss in coverage. You get to the setting by going to orbi login, advanced, advanced setup, wireless settings then under 2.4ghz transmit control power select 25%.

i left the 5ghz wifi untouched at 100%

Message 3 of 12
Hydro130
Luminary

I'm going to give this a shot too...  

I only have a few 2.4-only devices, and they all happen to be close to the router, so cutting back on the 2.4 is probably a smart move for me to do anyway.

Fingers crossed!

Message 4 of 12
dekka007
Apprentice

Not a solution here.  Still drops on ios.

Message 5 of 12
dekka007
Apprentice

If I just use the router and unplug the Satellite.   No IOS drops.

Plug satellite in and sync then IOS drops return.

Turn off Satellite.  No IOS Drops.

Message 6 of 12
nick776
Guide

Why did you return the velop?  Why didn't you like it?  I'm going to be returning Orbi for Velop if they can't confirm wired backhaul is in the works for Orbi.

Message 7 of 12
jmbarbs
Apprentice

The only reason I returned the velop was in my house it struggled to give a good connection at the far end (which I needed as have a external nest cam at that corner of the house). This was using a pack of 3.

Also I found the speed throughput much slower than orbi. 

I think what I am learning from using these systems is that one system may work well In one persons house and behave completely different in another building, so I would say try the velop and see if it works for you (if you are sure that the orbi is not suitable in your environment). 

Message 8 of 12
jmbarbs
Apprentice

Also just a update my disconnections have started again. For the interim period until a update hopefully fixes, I'm considering turning off the wireless on orbi and put in AP mode. Turn the wifi back on my isp router/modem and then in the corner of my house where my sat is I'm going to plug in a airport express wired to the sat to try to get signal to my nest cam. I presume then I can also get the benefit of orbi speed from the main unit back to the sat and then hardwire Ethernet from the sat to my iMac in my office.

Message 9 of 12
B747driver
Star

@nick776 wrote:

Why did you return the velop?  Why didn't you like it?  I'm going to be returning Orbi for Velop if they can't confirm wired backhaul is in the works for Orbi.

1.  The app, which is required for installation and everything else, is buggy as hell.

2.  Nodes drop offline for no apparent reason.  Reset and then it drops offline again 10 min later.  Rinse and repeat.

3.  Half of the time during a reset, a node would get "stuck" while trying to configure -----> start over.

4.  Node relocation, channel optimization, system resets, etc. - all done several times several times to no avail.

5.  Tech support was willing but unable to resolve anything.  I spent several hours on the phone with them.  Fix one problem and something else pops up.

6.  Nest Cams dropped offline constantly and a few other devices had intermittent poor connections.

7.  My Airport Extreme performed much better in every aspect.  Why did I buy on this thing?

For $500, I expected it to pretty much work out of the box.  It did not.  A few tweaks here and there is one thing, but Velop required much more than that.  My short term best case scenario was that it was going to consume a vast amount of time to keep it running.  That was something I was not willing to tolerate.  Long term worst case scenario was that I bought a system full of bugs, hoping it gets sorted one day out but never does.  That wasn't acceptable either.

Long story short, I ended my frustration and returned it after two days.  Maybe I got a lemon, I don't know.  I really didn't care at that point.  It left a very bad taste in my mouth.  I don't know if you're experiencing other issues or if Orbi is simply missing a feature you desire, but personally, I would sit tight for a few more months before making the jump to Velop.  Return Orbi if you must, but Velop is not ready for prime time IMO.

Message 10 of 12

I found that reducing the power setting to 25% helped, but did not fix the disconnects on an iPhone 6 with latest ios. 

However I decided to switch off the 2.4ghz wireless and this has fixed all disconnect issues. I suspect it is to do with both the 2.4ghz and the 5.0ghz having the same SSID

Message 11 of 12
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

NETGEAR is aware of an issue affecting some users where wireless client devices frequently disconnect/reconnect from the Orbi WiFi network. We’re actively working on the issue and hope to have a solution soon.

Thank You

DarrenM

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 17 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7