Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: The wifi connections on my orbi system keeps dropping

gordongekko
Aspirant

The wifi connections on my orbi system keeps dropping

Every 4 to 5 minutes, my orbi RBR50 AC3000  system diconnects and connects the wifi on both the 2,4ghz and the 5 ghz band. I have the newest sw installed on the router and satelite. I bougth my orbi system last week, it has been like this the whole time. I know i have the configuration in order, but i think this is a hw problem Netgear has on several of their products. I'm gonna return the product, no more netgear for me.

I have read lots of threads about the same problem in here, i have tried all the suggested solutions, none of the fixed my problem. 

Message 1 of 23
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Unlikely to be a hardware problem. Use the paper clip method to do a full system reset of the Orbi.
If you have the means to do a site survey using WiFi analyzer, I’d do that as well to ensure using the best available channel.
Message 2 of 23
gordongekko
Aspirant

I did the paperclip thing, total reset the router and the satelite, and reconfigured everything, i still got the same issue. Wifi disconnects and reconnect every 4 to 5 minuttes. I have changed the channels on both 2,4ghz and 5 ghz, i have deactivated beamforming, MU-MIMO and fast roaming.The only advanced features i use is portforwarding and i have activated dynamic DNS since im running a server at home, because my ISP wont give a static ip. 

I forgot to mention when the Wifi drops, i stil got internet connection on my pc which is cabled.

Message 3 of 23
gr8sho
Virtuoso

I’ve seen something happen like that when the LAN side of the Orbi was using the same subnet address range as the host router. However logging into the management console would clear it up because the Orbi was able to detect the conflict. Symptom was same. Wireless devices wouldn’t connect reliably while wired seemed to work.
Message 4 of 23
gordongekko
Aspirant

What can i do about it then, if this is a subnet thing? I have checked the logfiles when the wifi drops, cant see any error messages related to this error in the log files. 

Message 5 of 23
gr8sho
Virtuoso

The LAN side subnet can be changed in the Orbi, if that's in fact the problem. Difficult to see from here based on the information given on the upstream connection of ISP and this server mentioned . The simpler the topology, the easier to isolate the problem
Message 6 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@gordongekko wrote:

Every 4 to 5 minutes, my orbi RBR50 AC3000  system diconnects and connects the wifi on both the 2,4ghz and the 5 ghz band. I have the newest sw installed on the router and satelite. I bougth my orbi system last week, it has been like this the whole time. I know i have the configuration in order, but i think this is a hw problem Netgear has on several of their products. I'm gonna return the product, no more netgear for me.

I have read lots of threads about the same problem in here, i have tried all the suggested solutions, none of the fixed my problem. 

Message 7 of 23
gordongekko
Aspirant

I have tried to disconnect every unit using internett in my house, wired and wifi, one by one, until the very last one, the wifi still drops. So i'm guessing all the connected unites are not the cause for this. Right now i just have the computer(wired) and my phone on, but still the wifi drops like every 4 to 5 minuttes. 

This is a difficult, i really dont know what to do with this problem, besides return the orbi system and get my money back while i still can. 

Message 8 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Also difficult to help if you don't give feedback to the questions presented as well....

@gordongekko wrote:

I have tried to disconnect every unit using internett in my house, wired and wifi, one by one, until the very last one, the wifi still drops. So i'm guessing all the connected unites are not the cause for this. Right now i just have the computer(wired) and my phone on, but still the wifi drops like every 4 to 5 minuttes. 

This is a difficult, i really dont know what to do with this problem, besides return the orbi system and get my money back while i still can. 

Message 9 of 23
gordongekko
Aspirant

FW is V2.3.1.48 on both satelite and router, this is the newest.

The Mfr is Alcatel lucent, the model is G-11G-P

My hose is about 350 Sq Ft, its about 25 feet between the satellite(i have only one) and the router, diffrent floor though, but its a wired connection. 

I have tried channel 1, 6 and 11 and auto on the 2,4Ghz band, and any unused channels on the 5Ghz. 

I have 2 wifi neighbours, pretty close to my house, but their signals are weak in my house.

I have tried earlier to enable and disable beamforming, mimo and wmm, didnt change a thing either way, still drops the wifi. 

But now i have done all the configuartions you suggested, the settings is saved and im gonna reboot both the satellite and the router, and i had wifi for about 6 minutes with this configuration. 

Message 10 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

25 feet maybe a bit too close, If you can try the RBS a bit farther out. 

If this still continues, try a full factory reset on the RBR and RBS and setup from scratch. 

Message 11 of 23
gordongekko
Aspirant

I can Try that, but have the distance something to say when the connection between the router and the satelitte is wired?

I have factory reset the unites 2 times already.

This has to be a hw or sw failure with the ORBI system, lots of people have the same issues.
Message 12 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

The RBS is wired to the RBR? If so, how is it wired? Directly or thru a LAN switch? 

Try the RBS wireless connected to the RBR, does it still happen? 

Hasn't been a lot of people talking about this. Depends on how theres is configured and connected and distance as well. Too close even wired can cause problems. 

Message 13 of 23
gordongekko
Aspirant

Its connected thru a lan switch, i can try to use the wireless connection between the router and satellite.
Message 14 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch?

Message 15 of 23
gordongekko
Aspirant

Its a TP-Link Gigabit switch model nr is TL-SG1008D.

I moved the satelitte as far from the router as i can, its about 35 feet between them now. I have also connected the units wireless now, it still drops.
Message 16 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

I would return this system and get another if you want to try another. Seems like this particular system is faulty. Have not seen this issue with others like this. 

Only other thing you might try is down grade FW to v44 and see if that does anything on the RBR only. IF it continues this this system is bad. 

Message 17 of 23
gordongekko
Aspirant

I Will return the system tomorrow.

But thanks for all your effort to help me with this issues.

Message 18 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. 

Message 19 of 23
jsturess
Apprentice

I have the same problem with dropping wifi. I have tried two routers now, and both have the same issue. I have also tried to disconnect all the satellites only running with router but I still get drops in wifi. I think this is a software problem.

Message 20 of 23
jsturess
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I would return this system and get another if you want to try another. Seems like this particular system is faulty. Have not seen this issue with others like this. 

Only other thing you might try is down grade FW to v44 and see if that does anything on the RBR only. IF it continues this this system is bad. 

Thats funny, you have answered me in another topic regarding this problem 🙂

Message 21 of 23
gordongekko
Aspirant

Wow... didnt notice that.. 🙂  But i ended up with returing the orbi system, and got my money back and bought a new mesh system from a company called Jensen. Omni is the system name, and its the easiest and best mesh system i ever tried! 3 smal unites cover up to 550sqM, now i have stable wifi 50meters from my house 🙂 

Message 22 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@gordongekko wrote:

Wow... didnt notice that.. 🙂  But i ended up with returing the orbi system, and got my money back and bought a new mesh system from a company called Jensen. Omni is the system name, and its the easiest and best mesh system i ever tried! 3 smal unites cover up to 550sqM, now i have stable wifi 50meters from my house 🙂 

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7