Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Time Capsule on Orbi?

mokolabs
Tutor

Time Capsule on Orbi?

Just curious... has anyone gotten their Airport Time Capsule to work on Orbi yet? Or, more generally, is anyone using Time Machine with Orbi?

I've got my Time Capsule hooked up to the Orbi satellite. You can see it in the list of attached devices, but it's showing up in my Finder as a SMB share (with a PC icon) and I'm unable to connect to it.

Would it work better with the main Orbi hub?

Thanks for any tips you might have!

(I'm running macOS Sierra 10.12.2 with the Orbi Firmware Version 1.4.0.18)

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 11
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Time Capsule on Orbi?

Have you been able to find a solution to this?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 11
Random12
Apprentice

I don't thinkt the issue is related to Orbi, it might be a time capsule configuration issue. It seems Apple doesn't officially support time capsule backup over a different (non Apple) wireless network. Some people seem to have made it work. Search over in here for more information:

https://discussions.apple.com

Also, google for "time capsule with another wireless router" there seems to be lots of threads about it on the internet. Some of them seem a bit confusing, hopfully you find the solution.

Hope this helps.

Message 3 of 11
saronian
Star

I configured my Time Capsule with WiFi off, Network in Bridge Mode, and connected to the Orbi router via Ethernet through a switch.

Mac's connected to the Orbi WiFi network see and backup to the Time Capsule.

AirPort Time Capsule 802.11ac (7.7.8)

Orbi (1.4.0.34)

Message 4 of 11
mokolabs
Tutor

Thanks. Maybe you're right. Maybe it just doesn't work anyway, so it's not Orbi's fault.

Message 5 of 11
mokolabs
Tutor

So are you saying that you did not connect the Time Capsule directly to the Orbi? That it was connected via a separate ethernet switch?

Message 6 of 11
saronian
Star

I consider it connected directly to the Orbi via Etrhernet but wanted to offer that there is a simple Netgear switch inbetween. So technically the Ethernet wire isn't a direct run to Orbi's port. But it shouldn't make a difference in opereation. The key to getting the Time Capsule working over WiFi is to disable WiFi in the Time Capsuyle and also place it in Bridge mode.

With this configuration Time Machine will backup over Orbi's WiFi.

Message 7 of 11
mokolabs
Tutor

Yeah, my WiFi is disabled and it's in bridge mode, but maybe I'll try connecting it to the main Orbi and see if that makes any difference.

Message 8 of 11
djc6
Luminary

I know this is not helpful, but I have also done this (Wi-Fi off / Bridge mode) on an Original 2008 time capsule (with an upgraded hard drive).

Two laptops/mac mini backup to it fine. 

Even though you cannot backup with your TC, can you at least use the AirPort Utility to connect/config your TC?

Message 9 of 11
Michael_Ayres
Aspirant

Same boat here, August 4, 20222; after my years-old Airport Extreme Time Machine failed more often in back up and the home Wi-Fi become shaky (judging a Comcast neighborhood shared) ISP and Modem, I installed the ORBI RBR750. It is super fast, which so far solves one problem. After several trial and errors, I have left my old Airport TM network in place and run it parallel with the ORBI Wifi. I use a small switch to share the cable from the modem to both ORBI and Airport. I seem to be getting TM backups, but of course there is the long standing issues of the TM management software for Apple OSx, both Intel silicon and newer Apple silicon. Sometimes the IOS Airport Utility succeeds better than AP Utility on Macbooks. I like the time machine, and the faster ORBI. The future in unclear and I will keep tinkering. I want to keep on using the build in HD and the APExtremeTC and I have one external drive too. Apple, it seems, wants us to use iCloud.

Message 10 of 11
Michael_Ayres
Aspirant

I have an Apple AirportExtreme TC working on my new ORBI wifi network; TC is set as a bridge. On a separate issue I have yet to get any of my two newer Apple silicon M1 chip based MBPros to run the TIM software, let alone connect to the TC, though the TC TM is visible on the newer work to the M1 Macbooks, so I can just run a file back up, but of course that is not a smooth as the incremental back ups of a TM.

I don’t find any credible info on whether Apple is going to release TM software comparable with its M1 chip. Rosetta saw layer does not help with Intel based TM saw on M1 chip.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7