Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Time for a new wifi router to improve my far away wifi areas?

ant
Prodigy
Prodigy

Time for a new wifi router to improve my far away wifi areas?

Hello.

I'm trying to fix my far away wifi issue that is weak, slow, unstable, and not connecting in the mostly one floor 4K sq. ft. home. Currently, I use an old Netgear R6300 v1 from 2012 or so. It works great in close by rooms, but not far away rooms like the kitchen, family, garage, laundry, guest, etc.

I tried two different wifi extenders (Linksys RE4000W N600 Dual-Band Wireless Range Extender and Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 Desktop WiFi Range Extender (EX7000-100NAS; AC1900) -- both have updated stock firmwares) to match the old router's wifi two (regular + guest WAPs) SSIDs, but they were unstable, not connecting, slow, etc. Many times, I had to physically reboot the extenders to fix the issues. I already tried changing their channels to avoid conflicts with neighbors, Arlo's base stations, etc. but they didn't help much. I don't know if getting another extender again would help after two different ones over the years. Maybe I need a new wifi router (will a mesh type be better?) since it's old?

If it is time for a new wifi router, then here what I need for it if possible:
1. Latest technology and security, but it still needs to work with old wifi devices like WPA2-SPK, WEP (very rare though so this can be skipped), etc.
2. Open source firmware support for alternative and future when official support is dropped.
3. Reach far away places (up to 30 meters away) in an mostly one floor home. Family rooms, kitchen, etc. that are weak and unstable.
4. Must be wireless only for networking. No indoor wiring like network cables and power outlets.
5. Price doesn't matter. Any good ones from Best Buy, Costco, Amazon, Fry's Electronics, etc.?
6. Must not require an online account and apps to use and access the router/extender. Optional is OK. No phoning home too for privacy reasons except for manual firmware updates.
7. Still need network ports for my devices like my decade old PCs with their network cables.

Any suggestions? Should I get http://www.netgear.com/orbi/rbk753.aspx or the newest http://www.netgear.com/orbi/RBK853.aspx? Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. 🙂

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Time for a new wifi router to improve my far away wifi areas?

Your OP was moved to the Orbi Pro forum however I can't seem to access it for some reason. I have asked a moderator to check this. 

Message 2 of 5
ant
Prodigy
Prodigy

(
@FURRYe38 wrote:

Your OP was moved to the Orbi Pro forum however I can't seem to access it for some reason. I have asked a moderator to check this. 

Yeah, hence why I reposted with revisions (wanted to revise it).

Is it me or does forum's e-mail notifications not work for subscribed threads? I never get any e-mails. I had to keep logging into the forum and go to its https://community.netgear.com/t5/notificationfeed/page web page often. Netgear needs a support forum for its own forum. 😛

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

I would send this to @Blanca_O to see if she can help on this. I get notifications about solved posts or my name referenced. 

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

@ant wrote:

Hello.

I'm trying to fix my far away wifi issue that is weak, slow, unstable, and not connecting in the mostly one floor 4K sq. ft. home. Currently, I use an old Netgear R6300 v1 from 2012 or so. It works great in close by rooms, but not far away rooms like the kitchen, family, garage, laundry, guest, etc.

I tried two different wifi extenders (Linksys RE4000W N600 Dual-Band Wireless Range Extender and Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 Desktop WiFi Range Extender (EX7000-100NAS; AC1900) -- both have updated stock firmwares) to match the old router's wifi two (regular + guest WAPs) SSIDs, but they were unstable, not connecting, slow, etc. Many times, I had to physically reboot the extenders to fix the issues. I already tried changing their channels to avoid conflicts with neighbors, Arlo's base stations, etc. but they didn't help much. I don't know if getting another extender again would help after two different ones over the years. Maybe I need a new wifi router (will a mesh type be better?) since it's old?

If it is time for a new wifi router, then here what I need for it if possible:
1. Latest technology and security, but it still needs to work with old wifi devices like WPA2-SPK, WEP (very rare though so this can be skipped), etc.

WPA2-PSK [AES]
WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]
WPA3-Personal [SAE]

Are the only modes offered. I believe WEP was removed from most Mfr routers years ago as it became compromised and not used much anymore so most mfrs did away with it. 

2. Open source firmware support for alternative and future when official support is dropped.

Orbi 50 series has 3rd party FW support:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Voxels-FW-available-for-50-series-Orbi-only-available/m-p/1883...

Orbi AX does not have 3rd party FW support. 

3. Reach far away places (up to 30 meters away) in an mostly one floor home. Family rooms, kitchen, etc. that are weak and unstable. 30 meters is a bit too far. 20-25 meters maybe max range depending upon building materials. Additional RBS can be used however:

https://kb.netgear.com/000062035/How-many-satellites-can-you-add-to-an-Orbi-WiFi-System

4. Must be wireless only for networking. No indoor wiring like network cables and power outlets. Yes.
5. Price doesn't matter. Any good ones from Best Buy, Costco, Amazon, Fry's Electronics, etc.? You'll need to look at these sellers to find best deals. Holidays are coming so you might find something good. 

6. Must not require an online account and apps to use and access the router/extender. Optional is OK. No phoning home too for privacy reasons except for manual firmware updates. You can set up the router with out internet access or an account. 

7. Still need network ports for my devices like my decade old PCs with their network cables.

Most routers only come with 4 ports, if you run out of ports, then install external LAN switches behind the RBR or RBS. They come in 5 port all the way up to 48. NG GS-105/108v4, D-Link DGS-105/108 and HP ProCurve 1400/1800 series switches work for Orbi systems.

Any suggestions? Should I get http://www.netgear.com/orbi/rbk753.aspx or the newest http://www.netgear.com/orbi/RBK853.aspx? Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. 🙂

Up to you to try something. Check the spec sheets on these two models. Mostly differences are 2.4Ghz connection rates and LAG support on the 8 series. Otherwise, mostly simiar in operation and performance. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7