Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Tip for Improving PC Wireless Connection

noobtastic_com
Follower

Tip for Improving PC Wireless Connection

I have been looking for a while for help in getting my PC to connect to the RBS50 extender that is closest to it. It kept wanting to connect to the RBR50 router that is about 20 feet beyond the extender plus some wall interference.

Today it was pretty bad with my download speed dropping to 160 mbps and only 3 bars on the connection quality. I should easily be at 275+ mbps and four bars with only ~35 unobstructed feet between my PC antenna and the extender.

I checked the router and extender UI's via the 10.x.x.x to see what was connected and confirmed my PC was not connecting to the expected extender. I started going through connection settings on the PC and changed the setting below and bingo, it connected to the extender and my speeds went back up to where they should be.

Figured I would post for others, just in case.

On the PC do the following:

1. Click start
  2. Enter "Control Panel" and open it
  3. Under "Network and Internet" click "View network status and tasks"
    1. You may need to change "View by:" to "Category"
  4. In the "View your active networks" section, click the WiFi name next to the "Connections:"
  5. Click the "Wireless Properties" box
  6. Check the box for "Look for other wireless networks while connected to this network"
  7. Click "Ok"
  8. Click "Close"
  9. Done

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 2
Mstrbig
Master

Re: Tip for Improving PC Wireless Connection

So did you solve the connection problem or still need help?

I find forgetting the WIFI connection, on the PC, and rejoining the network helps the PC choose the correct node. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7