Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Tips on converting Orbi router to access point?

RocketSquirrel
Luminary

Tips on converting Orbi router to access point?

I've decided that while Orbi provides great WiFi, its routing features and its GUI are not so great. So I plan to reinstall my Asus RT-AC68U (with radios off) as the router and turn the Orbi into a WAP.

Can anyone provide any tips on making this process as smooth as possible? Like what order to do things like change Orbi's LAN address, switch to WAP mode, add Asus router, etc? I'll have to change the Orbi's address from 192.168.1.1 so I can give that address to the Asus.

Also, will the Orbi really connect to the Asus via Orbi's WAN port? It doesn't need to use a LAN port?

Thanks for any advice.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
st_shaw
Master

@RocketSquirrel wrote:

I'm still preparing for this conversion. The Orbi manual says

To set up the Orbi router as an AP after you set up your Internet connection:
1. Use an Ethernet cable to connect the Internet port of this router to a LAN port on your existing router or gateway.
2. Launch a web browser from a computer or WiFi device that is connected to the network.
3. Enter orbilogin.com. A login window opens.
4. Enter the router admin user name and password
5. Select ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > Router/AP Mode.
The Router/AP Mode page displays.
6. Select the AP Mode radio button. The page adjusts.
7. Select the IP address setting:
•Get dynamically from existing router. The other router on the network assigns an IP address to this router while this router is in AP mode.
•Enable fixed IP settings on this device (not recommended). Use this setting if you want to manually assign a specific IP address to this router while it is in AP mode.

Won't step 1 immediately crash the network as 2 devices claim 192.168.1.1? Do I need to change Orbi's LAN address prior to performing step 1?

No.  You must connect the Orbi router's yellow Internet/WAN port to one of your existing router's LAN port to use Orbi in AP mode. In router mode the Orbi has a WAN IP on the Yellow WAN port and a LAN IP on the three LAN ports. If you've been using Orbi as a router, the WAN IP will not be 192.168.1.1, so there's no chance for a conflict.

You may be overthinking this. Just follow the instructions and it should work fine.

I recommend using the DHCP option when setting the Orbi's address in AP mode.  That way your existing router will handle all the IP address assignments and you shouldn't have conflicts.

I think you are overthinking this.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

I believe once you select AP mode, and continue, there should be either a Dynamic or Static mode to select from. I would set a static ON the Orbi for AP mode and input a IP address that is outside of the Asus routers default IP address pool. Something like 192.168.#.53 and ensure your ASUS has a pool set for 192.168.#.100 to .200.

If you haven't changed the SSID and PW, then both router and satellite should come back online after applying the AP mode setting.

You'll have to test to see if the WAN port or LAN ports work better on the Orbi router after you apply the AP mode setting. The WAN port will be come a LAN port.

Message 2 of 7
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

1. Use an Ethernet cable to connect the Internet port of this router to a LAN port on your existing router or gateway.
2. Launch a web browser from a computer or WiFi device that is connected to the network.
•Get dynamically from existing router. The other router on the network assigns an IP address to this router while this router is in AP mode.
•Enable fixed IP settings on this device (not recommended). Use this setting if you want to manually assign a specific IP address to this router while it is in AP mode.

Won't step 1 immediately crash the network as 2 devices claim 192.168.1.1? Do I need to change Orbi's LAN address prior to performing step 1?

Message 3 of 7
st_shaw
Master

@RocketSquirrel wrote:

No.  You must connect the Orbi router's yellow Internet/WAN port to one of your existing router's LAN port to use Orbi in AP mode. In router mode the Orbi has a WAN IP on the Yellow WAN port and a LAN IP on the three LAN ports. If you've been using Orbi as a router, the WAN IP will not be 192.168.1.1, so there's no chance for a conflict.

You may be overthinking this. Just follow the instructions and it should work fine.

I recommend using the DHCP option when setting the Orbi's address in AP mode.  That way your existing router will handle all the IP address assignments and you shouldn't have conflicts.

Message 4 of 7
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

You are probably right. Thanks.

@st_shaw wrote:

Message 5 of 7
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

I did it. It worked fine. Thanks for the replies.

Message 6 of 7
st_shaw
Master

Great! Good to hear it went well for you.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7