Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Tivo gets 2 IP addresses on Orbi

dogmatix
Aspirant

Tivo gets 2 IP addresses on Orbi

I have 2 Tivo boxes connecting to the Orbi routers via the Tivo Wireless N adapter. I have configured the Tivo boxes to use static IP and I have reserved those IPs on the Orbi with mac address reservation. 

I then reboot the router, and the 2 tivo boxes sequentially, confirm that the tivo boxes are assigned the static IP I set up, and also confirm that they are able to connect to the internet and get content. 

After about 24 hours, I see one or both Tivos now have 2 IP addresses for the same Mac address on the Orbi. Any idea what is happening? Why is Orbi assigning a different IP address for the mac address that has been reserved with a static IP?

Please help! This is causing my 2 Tivos from not connecting to each other if we have to download /  view shows from one Tivo on a TV in another room. 

Shankar

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 12

ok first you ether set static ip addresses on the devices or reserve them in the orbi but not both 

i suggest you set the tivo's to obtain ip address automatically and just use the reserve ip address in the orbi to keep them on the same address 

see if that helps

pete

Message 2 of 12
rhester72
Virtuoso

I'm confused.

If you set a static IP on the TiVos (within the TiVos themselves), they should never be issuing a DHCP request, and thus by definition couldn't receive two IP addresses.

I've seen multiple IPs show up for the same device in the Orbi UI before, but never for devices with truly static IPs, and one of the IPs was for a completely bogus subnet that never actually appeared on the device (despite what the UI indicated).  I never got to the bottom of why that was happening, but there were no ill effects other than the odd address showing up on the reservations list.

Rodney

Message 3 of 12
dogmatix
Aspirant

I am also equally confused. The Tivo box has a setting where you can choose between DHCP and Static IP. I have set that as Static IP. In addition, there is mac address reservation on the router. So even if the Tivo software has a bug and is doing a DHCP request, the router has to return the IP that has been reserved. That is the crux of the issue I am seeing. 

Shankar

Message 4 of 12
dogmatix
Aspirant

I have tried the case of reserving on Orbi and leaving Tivo to use DHCP - It results in duplicate IP too. Let me try the reverse tonight - remove the reservation on the Orbi and see if that helps. 

Message 5 of 12
st_shaw
Master

@dogmatix wrote:

I have 2 Tivo boxes connecting to the Orbi routers via the Tivo Wireless N adapter. I have configured the Tivo boxes to use static IP and I have reserved those IPs on the Orbi with mac address reservation. 

The Tivo Wireless N adapter is an Ethernet to WiFi bridge--it connects to the wired Ethernet port on Tivo and provides a WiFi connection.  I have seen wireless bridges like this pull two IP address--one for the wired device, and one for the adapter itself.  Your issue is almost certainly with the Wireless N adapter.  The adapters themselves have settings. Google it and review the user guide documents to make sure the adapters are setup properly. Or connect the Tivos with wired Ethernet.

If everything is setup correctly the multiple IP address should not cause you any issues.  However, if you happen to be assiging static IPs on any devices themselves, and are using addresses that are inside the DHCP range of the router, you will cause problems.

Message 6 of 12
dogmatix
Aspirant

Thanks - I was aware of this Ethernet to Wifi model on the Tivo Wireless N. I have seen it pull 2 IPs at the time of restart, but the adapter IP disappears from the DHCP table. For some reason, both of them get the IP with the same Mac address. I expected them to have different Macs when they got the IP from the router. 

In any case, I have reset the adapter on both boxes, and have now set mac address reservation only on the router and left the Tivo setting to use DHCP. Will let this thread know if that solves the issue. 

Message 7 of 12
dogmatix
Aspirant

I did the following and it seems to have fixed the issue. 

1. Reset Tivo to use DHCP and not Static IP. 

2. Reserved IP against Tivo Mac Addresses on Orbi. 

3. Stopped Tivos. 

4. Restarted Orbi

5. Started each Tivo in sequence. 

The only odd behavior I still see is that Orbi seems to give our duplicate IPs for the same Mac for the Tivos from time to time. The duplicates seem to disappear and reappear over the course of 24 hours. It has not affected the tivos from talking to each other or streaming from the internet. However, I do find it puzzling. 

Message 8 of 12
dogmatix
Aspirant

The duplicate IPs despite a mac address reservation at the route is still there. Any suggestions on how to debug? The only behavior I can see which is consistent is that this happens only when the Tivo is connected to the satellites instead of the main router. 

Message 9 of 12
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello dogmatix

You can check the attached devices on each satellite by using the satellites Ip address in your web browser this will tell you only the devices attached to that unit.

DarrenM

Message 10 of 12
dogmatix
Aspirant

Hi Darren,

I have done what you suggested. In fact the duplicate IPs for the same mac address are showing up on the same satellite. I am wondering why Orbi is assigning a a second IP that is not the reserved IP for a Tivo which has mac address reservation. 

Shankar

Message 11 of 12
st_shaw
Master

As I explained earlier in this thread, each of your TIVOs is going to get two IP addresses.  One IP is for the TIVO box.  The other IP is for the TIVO wireless N adapter itself.  The adapter pulls the second IP via DHCP so it can check for firmware updates, etc.

I would not recommend it, but if you want to set a static IP for the wireless N adapter, you must do this by unplugging the adapter, connecting it to a PC, and logging into the adapter's management GUI. Directions are here:

https://support.tivo.com/articles/Installation_Setup_Configuration/TiVo-Wireless-N-Adapter-Setup#A6

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7