Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Tivo recordings hitching on Orbi (Satellites connected via Ethernet Backhaul)

Rugar
Aspirant

Tivo recordings hitching on Orbi (Satellites connected via Ethernet Backhaul)

So...

Recently purchased a 3-piece Orbi set (Orbi RBR50 + 2 Satellites) to try and fix some issues affecting my wife. This system replaces a Linksys router with a single AP connected via Ethernet. Installed the Orbi base just fine though it took a bit more tweaking to get the satellites to recognize the wired backhaul than I expected (note this was still completed within about 30 min, just not quite as simple a plug and play as I expected). Tivo Bolt is connected directly to the Orbi router via ethernet, Orbi Satellites are connected via ethernet backhaul in a star, one Tivo Mini is connected through an ethernet switch to the Orbi router, and a second Tivo Mini is connected to an Orbi Satellite via ethernet cable.

Base Tivo Bolt works fine, no issues. Attempting to play shows (live, recorded, or streaming) on a Mini from the Volt results in severe hitching and unwatchable content.  Any ideas?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Tivo recordings hitching on Orbi (Satellites connected via Ethernet Backhaul)

If RBS are ethernet connected, besure to disable Daisy chain on the RBR and reboot everything. 
What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.

@Rugar wrote:

So...

Recently purchased a 3-piece Orbi set (Orbi RBR50 + 2 Satellites) to try and fix some issues affecting my wife. This system replaces a Linksys router with a single AP connected via Ethernet. Installed the Orbi base just fine though it took a bit more tweaking to get the satellites to recognize the wired backhaul than I expected (note this was still completed within about 30 min, just not quite as simple a plug and play as I expected). Tivo Bolt is connected directly to the Orbi router via ethernet, Orbi Satellites are connected via ethernet backhaul in a star, one Tivo Mini is connected through an ethernet switch to the Orbi router, and a second Tivo Mini is connected to an Orbi Satellite via ethernet cable.

Base Tivo Bolt works fine, no issues. Attempting to play shows (live, recorded, or streaming) on a Mini from the Volt results in severe hitching and unwatchable content.  Any ideas?

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 10

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Tivo recordings hitching on Orbi (Satellites connected via Ethernet Backhaul)

@Rugar wrote:

Recently purchased a 3-piece Orbi set (Orbi RBR50 + 2 Satellites) to try and fix some issues affecting my wife.

Really hoping this is a typo.  From numerous posts on the forum, Orbi does not excell in marital relations.

@Rugar wrote:

Base Tivo Bolt works fine, no issues. Attempting to play shows (live, recorded, or streaming) on a Mini from the Bolt results in severe hitching and unwatchable content.  Any ideas?

The Bolt and one Mini are wired directly to the Orbi router and steaming is unreliable?  Bugger.  This should be the same thing as the Bolt and Mini being connected to a switch.

Message 2 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

By coincidence, the adajacent post on the forum concerns Orbi "wire speeds" being affected by Daisy Chain.  Given that both satellites are connected to the Orbi with ethernet cables, the Daisy Chain option should be disabled.  Serves no purpose.  And, apparently, can cause problems.  Can you try that?

Daisy Chain is found on the Orbi web interface, Advanced Setup-> Wireless Settings.

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

If RBS are ethernet connected, besure to disable Daisy chain on the RBR and reboot everything. 
What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.

@Rugar wrote:

So...

Message 4 of 10
Rugar
Aspirant

Ok... trying to follow the suggestion, but it took me a bit to track down where you meant. Advanced Tab -> Advanced Setup -> Wireless Settings -> Enable Daisy-Chain Topology is now unchecked. I'll follow up in the morning to see if that fixes the problems on the two Tivo mini boxes.

In the meantime, while digging into the settings I found that only one of the satellites is reporting ethernet backhaul while the other is showing 5G. Need to dig into that problem separately.

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

@Rugar wrote:

Ok... trying to follow the suggestion, but it took me a bit to track down where you meant. Advanced Tab -> Advanced Setup -> Wireless Settings -> Enable Daisy-Chain Topology is now unchecked. I'll follow up in the morning to see if that fixes the problems on the two Tivo mini boxes.

In the meantime, while digging into the settings I found that only one of the satellites is reporting ethernet backhaul while the other is showing 5G. Need to dig into that problem separately.

Message 6 of 10
Rugar
Aspirant

Morning followup:

Issue 1 (Tivo): Tivo mini connected to the satellite is now working fine, no hitching. Tivo mini connected directly to the router (via a distribution switch in the basement) is still not functioning correctly. I've been trying to troubleshoot the switch and cabling to that outlet to see if the problem has something to do with either of those two components that switcing over to the Orbi from the existing Linksys router just revealed, not caused.

Issue 2 (One satellite on ethernet, the other on wireless): It appears that disabling daisy-chain topology (even though they were in a star and not daisy chained) has resolved this issue as well. Both satellites are now showing good backhaul status through wired connections.

Thanks for the help and I'll report back once I have had some time to do some component testing.

Message 7 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@Rugar wrote:

Tivo mini connected directly to the router (via a distribution switch in the basement) is still not functioning correctly. I've been trying to troubleshoot the switch and cabling to that outlet to see if the problem has something to do with either of those two components that switcing over to the Orbi from the existing Linksys router just revealed, not caused.

Can you please identify the model of distribution switch?  "Smart" switches can cause issues, as can switches with "Green" features that are too aggressive.  It is generally recommended to disable "Green" and "IGMP" features on switches connected to Orbi.

Message 8 of 10
Rugar
Aspirant

Final update... Disabling Daisy-Chain topology was the solution. The problem with the Tivo mini connected via ethernet switch turned out to be a problem with a connector that was damaged during the changeover. Crimping a new connector onto the line resolved the problem.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. 

For future reference and benefit of others, what is the Mfr and model# of the switch your using? 

Glad Disabling of Daisy Chain and fixing of the bad connector worked. 

Mark your post thread as solved. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7