Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Totally disappointed - avoid Orbi

Totally disappointed - avoid Orbi

I have spend hours trying to fix something that should be so basic. I don’t want any complex features, just simple basic reliable internet connection. 

My old, very old Apple AirPort Extreme seemed like it needed a replacement but my kids are now supplying me everyday to go back to it. 

I have the RBK50. Tried everything. Router mode, bridge mode, latest firmware, downgrade to previous one, ... it is a shame for Netgear 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 7
KHardy
Initiate

I have the same problem.  My family complains about constant outages and my wife and son regulary have to hard reboot to restore connectivity.  My wife gave up and connected via the XFinity cable box -- NEXT DOOR!

I am shocked at how terrible my Orbi experience has been.  This has been a problem for over six months of updates.

Message 2 of 7
Brain29
Apprentice

I had crazy outages I had to drop to 2.0.1.4 newer versions would drop like crazy for no reason and things have been stable so far -- also if you have a google home/ chromecast (unplug them)- andriod phone 8.1 you need to update google play services because it will ddos your network (dont wait for your device to update itself just download the apk) 

bad firmware and other company bugs -- its the perfect storm for dissapointment 

Message 3 of 7
t_k
Luminary
Luminary

The generic "it disconnects" is a common complaint on the Orbi's, and you're right to be dissapointed. It's completely unethnical for them to continue marketing this product as-is.

@KHardy@Brain29@OrbiDissapoint - In case you haven't already done so, please do leave reviews of your experience on Amazon. Also, there is a thread with signifcant traction that just might result in some people being refunded. It may be worth adding your name here.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 4 of 7
Brain29
Apprentice

@t_k

I'm fine - I do sales for networking equipment and typically only deal with two comanpies for mesh networks so I bought a few orbis (lots of positive reivews) to see if it was worth setting up in very small/temporary office enviroments -- guess I did so with bad timming not to impressed - while the buisness model (I also have) is diffrent I know how bad code follows the other. 

It seems like netgear knows there is something wrong since they rolled back so far but why they didnt auto update to an old driver is beyond me (esspically since they designed it for them to have full control)- I really like the design to hide the attenas - The simple software was great to set up - but then you realise its really too simple, so when something goes wrong even the logs are lacking in the information needed to help diagnose. 

Message 5 of 7
Maca1010
Aspirant

We also had same drop issue for long time. The only tempolary fix I found was to Block and Allow the device under Access Control and turing off/on the wifi on device. We use the rounter in our office and 20 devices are connected all the time and somehow one device always drops connection.  I wish Netgear could annouce something that they are fixing this its annoying.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/OrbiOS-MR-2-1-issues

@Maca1010wrote:

We also had same drop issue for long time. The only tempolary fix I found was to Block and Allow the device under Access Control and turing off/on the wifi on device. We use the rounter in our office and 20 devices are connected all the time and somehow one device always drops connection.  I wish Netgear could annouce something that they are fixing this its annoying.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7