Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Traffic meter in firmware V2.7.3.22

pdeethardt
Apprentice

Traffic meter in firmware V2.7.3.22

Anyone else utilizing the traffic meter again after the issues with it were fixed in version 2.7.3.22? I re-enabled it on my system and have it set to reset the counter at the beginning of each month, however it doesn't actually reset unless I reboot the router. When I view the traffic meter information via the web interface, it claims the period has started on Oct 1st, however the data counter is still carrying over from last month. The same issue occurred on Sept 1st.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Message 2 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@pdeethardt wrote:

Anyone else utilizing the traffic meter again after the issues with it were fixed in version 2.7.3.22? I re-enabled it on my system and have it set to reset the counter at the beginning of each month, however it doesn't actually reset unless I reboot the router. When I view the traffic meter information via the web interface, it claims the period has started on Oct 1st, however the data counter is still carrying over from last month. The same issue occurred on Sept 1st.

I agree. There are two issues with my Orbi Traffic Meter report:

1. The setting is to reset the Traffic Meter at 00:00:00 on the 1st day of the month.
    But, the report at the bottom says the table was reset at 1:00AM on Oct 1.
    "Who cares about an hour?"  Just seems sloppy to me.  Which is correct? (or, is neither of them correct?)
  2. My statistics did not "carry over" from september, but part of them certainly did.
    September total is shown as  310,412/10,347, and
    The total for Oct 1- 5 is shown as  249,401/62,350
    This is obviously incorrect.  If it took 30 days to total 310,412 there is no way the traffic reached 249.401 in only 5 days.

I am not happy with the thought that a Factory Reset may be required after Netgear auto-updates firmware.

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Would be to try the FR to validate the problem with TM. If it still happens after the reset then you can open a support ticket and let NG know. 

I'll change my TM to match configuration here and see if this happens on Orbi AX. 

Message 4 of 11
pdeethardt
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

No, I have not peformed a factory reset as of yet. The traffic meter is a non-essential item for me so I don't want to go through the hassle of reconfiguring my system for something minor like that. I was just curious if others were having the same issue.

Message 5 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@pdeethardt wrote:

No, I have not peformed a factory reset as of yet. The traffic meter is a non-essential item for me so I don't want to go through the hassle of reconfiguring my system for something minor like that. I was just curious if others were having the same issue.

I agree. Traffic Meter is obviously defective.  We will all learn on November 7 if the firmware update has eliminated the bugs that caused so much frustration last March.  Doing a Factory Reset will zero out last month and this month, so it will take until Nov 1 to find out if the reset had any effect.

There are two ways to do a Factory Reset, the hard way and the quick way.

• As you pointed out, a complete Factory Reset can take a long time.  In my case, it is about two hours to make all the device reservations, enter all the device descriptions, set up DHCP, DNS, DDNS, OpenVPN, etc. etc.  I do not set the WiFi SSID until everything is set up, because I do not want devices jumping on the Orbi and getting random IP address assignments before the LAN setup table is defined.  It is rare to find a time when the network can disappear for two hours.
  • The quick way is to
    *  Copy the configuration file to a PC
    *  Do the Factory Reset
    *  During the setup, do NOT change the WiFi SSID
    *  Enter almost nothing until you get to the option of "Load a Saved Configuration"
    *  Load the saved configuration
    *  The router reboots and is back to the way it was
    *  All devices see the SSID has returned and begin to connect.

For me, the difference is 15 minutes vs. over two hours.

Are they exactly the same? No. Of course not. The concept is that there may have been 'garbage' in memory (like the Traffic Meter tables) that does not get saved as part of the 'configuration'. The Factory Reset eliminates that garbage, and the useful information in the configuration gets restored.

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

So heres what is set for my Orbi AX system:

TrafficMeter20211006.png

Will see what happens on Nov 1.

Message 7 of 11
pdeethardt
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

So heres what is set for my Orbi AX system:

TrafficMeter20211006.png

Will see what happens on Nov 1.

Did your traffic meter reset?

Message 8 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Traffic Meter on my RBR50 remains messed up. (See attached screen shot)

Claims to have reset Nov 1. Today is Nov 3.  So, "This Month" totals are for two days: Nov 1-2.

Last Month is for 31 days, Oct 1-31.

Traffic Meter shows my Download for all of Oct totals 273,950 and my download for two days totals 449,134.

Notice that all of the "arithmetic" in the table is correct.  i.e. 449,134/2 days does equal 224,587 and 273,950/31 = 8,837.

The obvious conclusion is Traffic Meter was not reset on Nov 1.  In addition, I have serious doubts over the accuracy of the underlying data.

Message 9 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

p.s. While I have a good tolerance for mindless busywork, trying to figure out what Traffic Meter is actually doing is too much tedium for too little gain.  i.e.Open Traffic Meter every single day, record "Yesterday", "This Month", and "Last Month" and see if either of them matches "Yesterday". Do this without fail for 30 days and maybe there will be a "Voila" moment when Traffic Meter resets.  Or.....

Message 10 of 11
pdeethardt
Apprentice

So strangely enough the traffic meter on my system correctly reset itself on Jan 1st at midnight. No idea why it worked this time, but figured I'd pass it along.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7