Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Tri-band Question

Ru058197
Aspirant

Tri-band Question

Quick question.  The specs say tri-band, however from what I am reading, one of these bands is dedicated to the router>satelite communication (from what I understand, that is to achieve perfromance without degradation).  So, if I got that right, am I only going to have access to two bands? 

Message 1 of 7
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Tri-band Question

Hello Ru058197

The Orbi Wi-Fi system delivers 3 independent radios including one 2.4GHz band and two 5GHz bands for 802.1a/b/g/n/ac wireless devices. Smart Connect intelligently selects the best Wi-Fi band for each dual-band device to optimize connection speed and performance based on that device’s speed and performance capabilities.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 7
VE6CGX
Master

Tri-band?  It is dual band with 3 radios. one radio for 2.4GHz band, two radios for 5GHz band split in two,  lower half and higher half.

Message 3 of 7
Ru058197
Aspirant

@VE6CGX wrote:

Tri-band?  It is dual band with 3 radios. one radio for 2.4GHz band, two radios for 5GHz band split in two,  lower half and higher half.

Confused,

Even the website says "Tri-band" for the Orbi Wireless AC 3000

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/orbi/?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

Best Buy has it listed as Tri-band as well

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear-orbi-wireless-ac3000-tri-band-wi-fi-system-white/5577333.p?id=bb...

Message 4 of 7

hi Ru

to answer you question 

you would have dual band ether way as ( apart from the new tp link 7200 ) no current routers are actually tri band as 2 of the transmissions are on the same band 

however to the answe you actually want 

you are corrdect there are only 1 transmission on each band you have access to , one on 2.4 gig and one on 5 gig , the second transmission on 5 gig is used specifically and exclusivly for the backhaul connection from sat to router 

thus what you have access to is 

1 x 2,4 gig 400M transmission 

and

1 x 5 gig 867M transmission 

this is per device 

so the router transmits 1 x 5 gig and 1 x 2.4 gig and the sat transmits 1 x 5 gig and 1 x 2.4 gig 

both with the same ssid name 

so your assumption is correct , you have no access to the third transmission as its specifically for the backhaul

pete

Message 5 of 7
TheEther
Guru

@peteytesting wrote:

hi Ru

to answer you question 

you would have dual band ether way as ( apart from the new tp link 7200 ) no current routers are actually tri band as 2 of the transmissions are on the same band 

The current routers marketed as tri-band can transmit simultaneously at 2.4 GHz and two of the following 5 GHz bands: U-NII-1 (5.17-5.25 GHz), U-NII-2A (5.25-5.32 GHz), U-NII-2C (5.5-5.72 GHz), and U-NII-3(5.745-5.835 GHz).  IMO, it's fair to consider these routers tri-band.

But it is true that the Orbi only has two user-facing bands.  The third is used for a dedicated connection between the base and satellites, so while it's not technically wrong to call the Orbi tri-band, it is a bit misleading.

Message 6 of 7

i agree that it could be misleading along with the reviews that have called it a mesh system as at this stage its not , you could also say its misleading to say its got speeds up to 3 gig when in reality the fastest you can sync to it is 867M 

its advertising blurb and its why users really have to do their homework before blindly buying anything including the orbi system 

pete

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7