Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Trouble adding another Orbi Satellite to existing Orbi setup

CynDaVaz
Tutor

Trouble adding another Orbi Satellite to existing Orbi setup

The Model field won't let me enter the actual item I'm talking about, which is the RBS50 (Orbi satellite)

A couple months ago I set up an Orbi system in our house (one router, connected to an existing Netgear modem/router - with the wireless radio disabled - and two Orbi satellites). I had no issues setting everything up and getting the satellites to sync with the Orbi router; I didn't even have to push the "sync" buttons, it connected on its own.

Side note:
The performance has been good the closer we are to the router and satellites, of course, but I did find something odd that I didn't expect. A bit disappointing too. The wireless strength was actually *weaker* after the Orbis were put into place than the strength we'd had with just the Netgear modem/router when its radio was turned on. Why would that be? Did the satellites somehow not really sync, despite the light code indications that they did? I don't understand this. I figured the strength would be much better than before and that I wouldn't even need any additional equipment. 

Anyway, because of this issue, I've since purchased a third satellite to put in a different place in the house, but when I plug it in, and it starts up, it just stays lit with a white light. It never syncs on its own. Now, I know I'm supposed to press the "sync" button on the satellite and then the router but my fear of doing that is this: will is somehow disrupt the other existing connections and I'll have to manually re-sync everything again afterwards?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
st_shaw
Master

I believe when you buy a kit the router and sat(s) are pre-programmed with the "password" needed to sync.  Since you bought a new sat, it won't have the password, so you must re-sync.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
st_shaw
Master

I believe when you buy a kit the router and sat(s) are pre-programmed with the "password" needed to sync.  Since you bought a new sat, it won't have the password, so you must re-sync.

Message 2 of 5
CynDaVaz
Tutor

Oh, I see - that explains that part then. When you say re-sync, do you mean that I will have to re-sync all satellites, or just the new one? Just want to make sure I understand clearly. Thanks!

Message 3 of 5
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

st_shaw was correct in his explanation.   

You only have to sync the new satellite to the router - the already attached/sync'd satellite will not be affected.

Message 4 of 5
CynDaVaz
Tutor

Alrighty - thank you!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements