Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Trouble updating firmware on a RBS40

LBlu
Aspirant

Trouble updating firmware on a RBS40

I recently purchased an additional RBS40 to add to my existing network (an RBK43). The previous network is fine and is on firmware version 2.3.5.30. The new satellite is on firmware version 1.11.0.20. I've sync'd the new satellite with the existing network, got a blue light and I see it when I log into the router. When I go to the firmware update page in advanced settings, the router doesn't even recognize the firmware version of the new satellite.

I've logged into the new satellite directly through its IP address and attempted to update to a newer version of the firmware. However, I have had no luck getting any firmware version to install. Each time I try to upload a .img file (either 2.3.5.30 or some prior version going back to 1.12.0.20) the upload goes to 100% and then the page prompts for my login name and password. If I enter my credentials, the firmware just uploads again and prompts for my name and password. I seem to be stuck in a loop. Is there any way out?

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Trouble updating firmware on a RBS40

What browser are you using? Does it happen with IE11 or Firefox? 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Look on NGs download site for v2.0.0.74 file for the RBS or some verion around this version. Load this intermediate FW on the RBS, then you should be able to load the most current version of FW on the RBS. I would factory reset the RBS after loading the last version and the setup from scratch. 

@LBlu wrote:

I recently purchased an additional RBS40 to add to my existing network (an RBK43). The previous network is fine and is on firmware version 2.3.5.30. The new satellite is on firmware version 1.11.0.20. I've sync'd the new satellite with the existing network, got a blue light and I see it when I log into the router. When I go to the firmware update page in advanced settings, the router doesn't even recognize the firmware version of the new satellite.

I've logged into the new satellite directly through its IP address and attempted to update to a newer version of the firmware. However, I have had no luck getting any firmware version to install. Each time I try to upload a .img file (either 2.3.5.30 or some prior version going back to 1.12.0.20) the upload goes to 100% and then the page prompts for my login name and password. If I enter my credentials, the firmware just uploads again and prompts for my name and password. I seem to be stuck in a loop. Is there any way out?

Message 2 of 6
LBlu
Aspirant

Thanks for that suggestion. Unfortunately, it doesn't help. I tried flashing with 2.0.0.56, but once I finished uploading the file, I was prompted to sign in again. If I sign in, the firmware gets uploaded again and I am prompted to sign in again. It doesn't matter what version I try to upload, the satellite prompts me to sign in again the moment it is done uploaded and before it tries to flash with the new file.

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What browser are you using? Does it happen with IE11 or Firefox? 

Message 4 of 6
LBlu
Aspirant

Thanks, switching to IE fixed my issue.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors