Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: True Factory Reset Sequence - The Real Way to Reset your Orbi

True Factory Reset Sequence - The Real Way to Reset your Orbi

Posting this to help other frustrated Orbi owners.

Finding a solution to this was very hard.  I suspect a lot of "dead" hardware just needs to be reset properly.  I bought a used Orbi RBR50 and RBS50 to add my existing Orbi netwoerk which I bought new a few years ago.  I did the commonly-advised "hold the reset button down until the LED next to it flashes orange".  Nope, nope, nope. The right way is called a "30-30-30 reset" and apparently is an industry standard that works on most routers (kind of like holding a PC power button down for four seconds will shut them all off).  As follows:

1.  Power up the device and wait about a minute for it to finish booting.

2.  Using a bent paper clip, press down the reset pin for 30 seconds, and keep holding it down.  Ignore anything else going on.

3.  While still holding it down, unplug the power connector for 30 seconds, and keep holding the pin down.

4.  While still holding the pin down, plug the power cord back in and wait 30 seconds.

Your device is now "out of the box".

Worked for me twice on two unreachable, and/or badly behaving devices.

Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

A reset shouldn't be needed if it's new and out of the box from the Mfr. Only a 15 second press is needed for any factory button press. Possible the unit was used prior and was 3rd party resealed to make it look new in box as well. Seen alot of re-sellers repackage items. 

Good Luck. 

Message 2 of 9

Yes, it was used, as I mentioned.

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW version came loaded on it? 

Message 4 of 9
alokeprasad
Mentor

Is 30-30-30 reset applicable to the Orbi's?

If so, how is it different from the "normal" factory reset?

Doing a search here, I find

RBR40 does not reset to factory using 30/30/30 method and many others on reddit saying something similar.

The guru's here haven't been recommending 30-30-30, so maybe it isn't relevant for these devices ...

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, it's not recommended and mostly used on 3rd party FW like DD-WRT. Stock FWs only need 10-15 seconds. I found 15 seconds is fine for Orbi systems. Only 30 seconds is needed for the recovery mode using TFTP. 

Message 6 of 9

Version 2.5.2.4 came on it.  Once I could access the Satellite I reflashed it with the same Firmware that was on the rest of the Orbi system.

When I unboxed it from the seller and did the more commonly known reset, all I could do was add the satellite to my network.  It then entered into the Config Sync backhaul lockout which I could do nothing with although I could see that the firmware already on it was 2.5.2.4 which was the same as my system.

As mentioned, I was only after the 30-30-30 reset and a reflash only then did it join my network and play nicely.

And as a sidenote, the default gateway was not 192.168.1.1, as is also commonly given as correct info, it was found to be x.255.

I had to use the CMD/IPCONFIG way to discover this.

Message 7 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, the default IP address for RBS if they don't connect is 192.168.1.250. 

Other users and I as well noticed problems with v4 FW. Up to you to keep it or use something else. 

Standard 15 seconds press is all thats needed for any reset.

Good Luck. 

Message 8 of 9
oalsie33
Aspirant

After you configure the modem for modem mode, you must energy OFF the modem for 1 minute then again on then reset the RBR and stroll via the setup wizard page. I might even ask for extra assist from your ISP about your modem to make sure it's configured efficiently for modem only mode.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7