Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

True or false - Adding a satellite with slower backhaul slows down backhaul to entire system?

jdebler
Aspirant

True or false - Adding a satellite with slower backhaul slows down backhaul to entire system?

I apologize that I cannot find a clear answer on this, although I am sure it has been asked and answered many times before.

TRUE OR FALSE:

Adding a satellite with a slower backhaul to an existing router/satellite system with a faster backhaul will slow down the backhaul of the entire system to the level of the slower backhaul satellite.

Example:

I have an existing RBR50/RBS50 system. The RBR50 is in the middle of the house.  RBR50 is connected wirelessly in my office on one end of the house.   I am looking to add a RBS40V to the system and put it in my wife's office on the other end of the house, also connected to the router wirelessly.

My concern is that my office's satellite speed will be reduced once the slower backhaul satellite in my wife's office is added to the system.

I assume that the answer to the question above would be FALSE, but I am asking for this confirmation because I am finding conflicting answers when I search.

Again, my apologies if this is redundant and clarity on it is appreciated. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: True or false - Adding a satellite with slower backhaul slows down backhaul to entire system?

Your best bet would be to test this out and see. We don't see a lot of users posting there results using mixed model RBS. Some of us don't have other models to test with. Your best option would be to try one and then see if the backhaul speed drops for the entire system or not. 

Message 2 of 8
jdebler
Aspirant

Re: True or false - Adding a satellite with slower backhaul slows down backhaul to entire system?

ARRRGH.  My mistake, I made a typo above which made things confusing and I cannot find a way to edit ot.

THE CORRECT EXAMPLE:

Example:

I have an existing RBR50/RBS50 system. The RBR50 is in the middle of the house.  The RBS50 is connected wirelessly in my office on one end of the house.   I am looking to add an RBS40V to the system and put it in my wife's office on the other end of the house, also connected to the router wirelessly.

My concern is that my office's satellite speed will be reduced once the slower backhaul satellite in my wife's office is added to the system.

Message 3 of 8
jdebler
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply, but I made a typo which made this confusing and I cannot edit the post.  Please see my corrected example.

Message 4 of 8
jdebler
Aspirant

In otjher words, I have an RBR50/RBS50 system.  If I add the RBS40V to the system, will it bring the entire RBS40V backhaul down to the RBS40V level?

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

As methioned, something to try out with a 40 series RBR and see. If it does, then you can send the RBS back...

I don't think so as each RBS has a independent connection with the RBR unless you have Diasy Chain On. I would presume the RBS connected with the RBR would have the backhaul independently from the other RBS if there not connecting RBS to RBS. So with a RBS50 connected at one end of the house to the RBR in the middle, should keep or see near 1170-1733Mpbs and the RBS40 at the other end of the house to the RBR will see only 866Mbps max. 

Message 6 of 8
jdebler
Aspirant

Thanks, and apologies for the confusion.  No, I wouldn't be daisy chaining them.

I would assume the same as your assessment, but in my research of buying the new satellite, I am encountering similar assumptions, some being stated as fact which made me question the truth.

I'd like to give it a shot...but Is there a known good way to test each satellite speed independantly to confirm if differing backhaul speeds does or does not impact the system backhaul as a whole?

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

I believe you can check the backhaul speeds of the RBS with a telnet command...I was looking thru my notes and I think you can check this using this command:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/ORBI-RBK50-RBS50-Tips-Tricks-Hidden-Secrets-etc/m-p/1745302/hi...

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7