Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Trying to Set RBK50 in AP Mode with wired backhaul and have a few issues

jvetro
Aspirant

Trying to Set RBK50 in AP Mode with wired backhaul and have a few issues

I have been going at this for a couple of days now and I cannot seem to get this working.  I am trying to setup my Orbi system in AP mode with a wired backhaul.

1st issue)  I can get the Orbi in AP mode working well, however when I connect the ethernet cable to the satelite for wired backhaul, the web gui still indicates 5g connection, and I know it is 5g connection as if I do a speed test from my laptop directly wired to the network switch, I am getting speeds up to 1.5Gbps.  If I then connect my laptop directly to the Orbi Satelite, the speed test peaks at 500Mbps.  Setup is as follows:

RBR50 (192.168.1.250) (using WAN port) --> Network Switch (unmanaged)  <-- RBS50 (192.168.1.85 reserverd on DHCP)

2nd issue)  After about 30 min of connecting the Orbi system, my router (192.168.1.1) drops connection and unable to browse the internet.  Once I shut off the Orbi (RBR50) connection to the internet continues.  I have been running continuous pings to see this happen.

My Orbi units are running the latest firmware.  I have reviewed several other discussions but none of them seem to work for me.  What would be the proper step by step procedure of getting this to work?  Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 19

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 9 of 19

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?

Be sure your using good quality LAN cable. CAT6 is recommended. 

Message 2 of 19
jvetro
Aspirant

TP-Link TL-SG116
BTW, I was never able to see the web gui indicate wired backhaul even connected directly to the AP with the cable provided by Netgear.
Message 3 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

So first off, 

Ensure the RBS is using same version of FW and RBR. 

Wirelessly connect the RBS to the RBR to ensure it connects then. If that happens, then use a good quality LAN cable and connect the RBS to the back of the RBR to see if it will connect. Top ring should turn BLUE. Status on the RBR may take a bit longer to update. Give it a few minutes. 

IF the RBS gets connected wired, and status shows, then turn OFF the RBS then connect to the remote location. If the RBS fails to connect after the switch, then try a different switch. Your current switch has some green ethernet features that causes some problems for Orbi systems. 

Message 4 of 19
jvetro
Aspirant

I will try a few things and try to bypass the switch for the wired backhaul.
Message 5 of 19
jvetro
Aspirant

I reset everything to factory default. I have only my laptop and the 2 Orbi's connected in my setup. The RBR50 is on Router mode connected to the RBS50 using wireless backhaul. I then connected a Cat6 cable directly from the RBS to the RBR, and the connection type on the web gui still shows 5g connection type. I would like to have this working first before putting in AP mode with the rest of my network.
Message 6 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW version do you have loaded? 

Message 7 of 19
jvetro
Aspirant

I reset to factory defaults and have now set the RBR50 to router mode.  I have a CAT 6 cable connected directly to the RBR50 and RBS50.  Status is still showing "5g" not "Wired"

Capture.JPG

Message 8 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

You need to downgrade to v16 if you want ethernet backhaul to work:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-2-5-1-16-Update/m-p/1897955/highlight/tru...

Message 9 of 19
jvetro
Aspirant

To confirm, I need to downgrade firmware in order for the status to show wired or to use Ethernet Backhaul period?
Message 10 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Both. 

There is a bug in FW after v16 which seems to cause problems with RBS that are ethernet connected. Something not seen with v16 FW. 

Message 11 of 19
jvetro
Aspirant

Thank you. I am going to install on the weekend and replace the isp router with this!
Message 12 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

And be sure your connecting the RBS via ethernet to the back of the RBR using the LAN ports, not WAN port:

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

Message 13 of 19
jvetro
Aspirant

Thanks. How can I prevent the Orbi from Auto updating the firmware. I assume it downloads it but does not apply it until I select Apply? Also, do I just need to keep checking the boards for a fix to the ethernet backhaul update?
Message 14 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

IF NG doesn't force the update, then there is just a notification so yes, you have too apply it. 

You can try this:

1) Go to Advanced, Security, Block Sites and add the following sites.
http.fw.updates1.netgear.com
updates1.netgear.com
downloads.netgear.com
Kept digging on this and learned the following:
TCP port 443 (HTTPS): http.fw.updates1.netgear.com
TCP port 21 (FTP): updates1.netgear.com

Can check the release note for information. 

Message 15 of 19
jvetro
Aspirant

Thank you!

Regarding newer Firmware, Is there a forum which lists the features that are available on newer firmware?  I am looking mainly for the "Ethernet Backhaul" issue fix!!!

Thank you again for your help!

Screenshot_20201219-115343.jpgScreenshot_20201219-115435.jpg

Message 16 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

I haven't seen any newer fw with the ethernet fix as of yet. Last working FW version is v16.

Message 17 of 19
jvetro
Aspirant

Thanks @FURRYe38 

I seem to have everything working using the firmware recommended above, also connecting the satellite RBS50 connected directly to the RBR50, however, every week or so, I need to reboot the Satellite as it is not accepting connections.  

One thing I did was to separate the SSID's for 2.4ghz and 5ghz.  I used the following commands I found on the forums to do this.  I am wondering if this is causing this issue?  Again, this does work perfectly for a bout a week, then I need to reboot the RBS50.

Before you try to change the SSIDS run the below command on each device. This turns off automatic merging of the two SSID's back in to one SSID after a reboot. (This is the most common issue on the latest firmware).

config set wifison-monitor_stop=1
config commit

If you ever need to reverse this setting use the command:

config set wifison-monitor_stop=0
config commit

The commands below will then set the the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks to the names you want:

config set wl_ssid="YOUR SSID 2.4Ghz NAME"
config set wla_ssid="YOUR SSID 5Ghz NAME"
config commit

The commands below check the SSID names have been set as required and apply a reboot when ready.

config get wl_ssid
config get wla_ssid
reboot

Only reboot the RBR50. Switch the satellite RBS50 off once you have issued the command and dont bring it back online until the RBR50 has fully rebooted and settled and you can see both SSIDS's

Again... Make sure you have committed all of the commands on both devices before issuing the reboot command to reboot the RBR50.

Once the RBR50 is back on line and both SSID's are available switch on the satellite RBS50 and let it settle. It will also begin advertising the new SSID's

Message 18 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, thats something thing thats not offcially supported. So if your running into problems doing that, I would factory reset the RBS and use it normally with out any modifications. See if the same thing happens. 

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7