Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Trying to Setup Home WiFI with Network Monitoring (Domotz Box)

scottandria
Aspirant

Trying to Setup Home WiFI with Network Monitoring (Domotz Box)

I am looking into the Netgear Orbi setup for my house (approximately 4,500 sq. foot house with 3 floors).  I am thinking about getting the Orbi routers and putting the router on the main floor and one satelite on the top floor and a second in the basement.  Should I get the AC3000 or the AC2200?

I am also looking at buying the Domotz Box for Networking Monitoring.  https://www.domotz.com/getting-started-remote-network-management/

Domotz website does not list the Netgear Orbi as one of the routers it has been tested to work with on its website. 

Domotz documentation says it can recognize all devices from routers that publish out the MAC address (layer 2 devices) of the devices that are connected to them. If the router only publishes the IP address (Layer 3 devices) then Domotz you will show the router with multiple IP addresses connected to it.

Has anyone configured the Netgear Orbi router to work with a Domotz network monitoring box?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 10
scottandria
Aspirant

Sorry, I meant to explicitly ask if the Netgear router will publish both the IP Address and the MAC Address for each device that connects to it.

Message 2 of 10

@scottandria wrote:

I am looking into the Netgear Orbi setup for my house (approximately 4,500 sq. foot house with 3 floors).  I am thinking about getting the Orbi routers and putting the router on the main floor and one satelite on the top floor and a second in the basement.  Should I get the AC3000 or the AC2200?

hi , orbi doesnt work that way

you will need the orbi router between the sats   , works this way

sat ---- orbi router ---- sat

not

router ---- sat ----sat

@scottandria wrote:

I am also looking at buying the Domotz Box for Networking Monitoring.  https://www.domotz.com/getting-started-remote-network-management/

Domotz website does not list the Netgear Orbi as one of the routers it has been tested to work with on its website. 

Domotz documentation says it can recognize all devices from routers that publish out the MAC address (layer 2 devices) of the devices that are connected to them. If the router only publishes the IP address (Layer 3 devices) then Domotz you will show the router with multiple IP addresses connected to it.

Has anyone configured the Netgear Orbi router to work with a Domotz network monitoring box?

with regard to the Domotz box , you would run that as you router and the orbi system in ap mode behind it so none of the orbi router functions would be active apart from the wifi

in ap mode the orbi would work fine in the config i have mentioned above and in ap mode and supplying wifi

Message 3 of 10
scottandria
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.

The Domotz box is not a router.  It is stritly a network monitoring device. Do you know if Orbi publishes information (MAC and IP) about the devices that connect to it?

As far as the setup is concerned, both satelites would connect to the router on the main level. Since I will have 3 units--router and two satelites--should I go with the AC3000 or the AC2200?

Message 4 of 10
scottandria
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.

The Domotz box is not a router.  It is stritly a network monitoring device. Do you know if Orbi publishes information (MAC and IP) about the devices that connect to it?

As far as the setup is concerned, both satelites would connect to the router on the main level. Since I will have 3 units--router and two satelites--should I go with the AC3000 or the AC2200?

Message 5 of 10
rhester72
Virtuoso

No router in the world 'publishes' such information - Domotz monitors networks the same way everyone else does, via ping (is it reachable?) and SNMP (what can I learn about it, in terms of interfaces, throughput, and other health metrics)?

I don't believe Orbi allows collection of SNMP data from it, so what you'll get from the Orbi itself is extremely limited.  Domotz also monitors -any- device it can find on the network, so I'm not sure it's that much of a loss if you can't get detailed stats from Orbi.

Rodney

Message 6 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Domotz works fine with Orbi.  

Message 7 of 10
scottandria
Aspirant

Great to hear.  Are you currently setup to use Orbi and Demotz?

Domotz integrates easily with the Luxul AC-3100 Router.  Users are able to give names to the devices.  So, for instance if a parent has a kid on Netflix at 1:00 AM in the morning, the parent can use Domotz to turn off internet access for a specific device (i.e., to make their kid go to sleep)! 

I cannot find a lot of information about the Luxul router, so I would prefer to use the Orbi setup.

Message 8 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Domotz does not integrate with Orbi at all.  It works fine, but in no way integrates.  Giving devices names is supported by Orbi, but is not synced with Domotz.  I recommend you use ScreenTime for mobile devices and Windows 10 Family Settings for time limits.  

I use Domotz to monitor the devices on my network, but not any sort of control over them.

Message 9 of 10
scottandria
Aspirant

Good morning!

You have been a huge help.  I have a few more questions for you or anyone else on the forum.

I am also considering the Luxul AC-3100 Router, TP-LINK 3-port Gigabit router, which integrates well with Domotz.  Do you know anything about this router?  Is it worth the money???

Best Buy has a deal where they will install the Luxul router for $120 and install a Domotz agent on your server for monitoring.  Best Buy will monitor the network for $20 a month.  Because Domotz is integrated with the Luxul router, it allows you to track each device that connects to the router.

Is the Luxul Router better/comparable to the Netgear router?  What is the better investment--Netgear Orbi router with 2 satelites or the Luxul with a possible access point setup as well?

http://luxul.com/xwr-3100

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7