Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Trying to add a satellite to my RBR 50 mesh system.

sandman512
Apprentice

Trying to add a satellite to my RBR 50 mesh system.

So, currently have a RBR mesh system with TWO RBS satellites.  I am attempting to add an additional RBS 50 and for some reason having massive trouble.  I ran a CAT cable from one of the existing satellites to the "new" satellite I am trying to add.  For some reason it wasn't working.  Any advice/input is appreciated.  Thank you!

ORBI.jpeg

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Trying to add a satellite to my RBR 50 mesh system.

Good to hear. You'll want to review your CAT5 cabling. CAT5 doen't support full 1000Mpbs connections well. CAT6 is recommended. 

Please mark your thread as solved. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@sandman512 wrote:

Update, so I was able to successfully configure it. First, I hard reset the "new" satellite.  Next, I added  it to my existing network(wireless).  I then plugged a CAT5 cable from one of my existing satellites to the "new" one.  All good now! Thank you!

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@sandman512 wrote:

So, currently have a RBR mesh system with TWO RBS satellites.  I am attempting to add an additional RBS 50 and for some reason having massive trouble.  I ran a CAT cable from one of the existing satellites to the "new" satellite I am trying to add.  For some reason it wasn't working.  Any advice/input is appreciated.  Thank you!

Perhaps one way to approach this question is "one step at a tiime."  i.e.

• power up the new satellite in the same room as the router and go through the "Add a Satellite" process using WiFi. This validates that the satellite works correctly.
  • Once the satellite adds successfully, connect it to the router using an ethernet patch cable.  Within a few minutes, the satellite should recognize the ethernet connection and switch from WiFi backhaul to ethernet backhaul. This validates that the satellite can use the ethernet backhaul.
  • Move the satellite to the desired location and connect to the Cat? cable.  If it does not connect, the cable is suspect.

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

Is Daisy Chain enabled on the RBR? 

Any LAN switches in the configuration? 

@sandman512 wrote:

ORBI.jpeg

Message 3 of 5
sandman512
Apprentice

Update, so I was able to successfully configure it. First, I hard reset the "new" satellite.  Next, I added  it to my existing network(wireless).  I then plugged a CAT5 cable from one of my existing satellites to the "new" one.  All good now! Thank you!

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. You'll want to review your CAT5 cabling. CAT5 doen't support full 1000Mpbs connections well. CAT6 is recommended. 

Please mark your thread as solved. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@sandman512 wrote:

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7