Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Trying to connect Orbi RBR50 to Motorola MG7550 Modem+Router

1042Havasu
Aspirant

Trying to connect Orbi RBR50 to Motorola MG7550 Modem+Router

Cannot connect to the Orbi network as I try to accomplish initial setup. Do I need to disable the motorola modem's router function? 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

@1042Havasu wrote:

Was using iphone and orbi app to activate orbi. After I put the motorola into bridge or passthrough mode should I connect via ethernet to orbi with my mac? 

Yes, my advice is to set up the Orbi using Safari on a wired connection to one of the Orbi LAN ports.  The process is clear.  One tiny piece of advice is to decide in advance how you want to name the Orbi WiFi, what WiFi password to use, and what password you want for administrative control of the Orbi.  I have kept the same WiFi name and password through four WiFi system replacements so that my devices do not have to be changed.  On the other hand, if you have few devices to update and would rather change to a new WiFi name, this is the time to do it.  Be especially careful when it comes to the Password Recovery screen. Deliberately "pull down" the menu, select questions, and enter responses you will be able to type in exactly the same way if ever needed.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 9

All Replies
1042Havasu
Aspirant

PS: Figured out how to disable the wireless on the motorola, but now cannot get Orbi router to wake up

Message 2 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@1042Havasu wrote:

Cannot connect to the Orbi network as I try to accomplish initial setup. Do I need to disable the motorola modem's router function? 

The Motorola is a combination modem/router/WiFi.  So, yes, you want to disable the Motorola WiFi.  As for the router function, the sentiment on this forum is that "one router" is better than "two routers."  So, either the Motorola should be put into "bridge" or "Passthru" mode, or the Orbi should be put into Access Point (AP) mode.

What are you using to set up the Orbi?  (PC or Mac wired to one of the Orbi LAN ports?  PC or Mac connecting to the Orbi over WiFi?  The Orbi "app"?)

Message 3 of 9
1042Havasu
Aspirant

Was using iphone and orbi app to activate orbi. After I put the motorola into bridge or passthrough mode should I connect via ethernet to orbi with my mac? 

Message 4 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@1042Havasu wrote:

Yes, my advice is to set up the Orbi using Safari on a wired connection to one of the Orbi LAN ports.  The process is clear.  One tiny piece of advice is to decide in advance how you want to name the Orbi WiFi, what WiFi password to use, and what password you want for administrative control of the Orbi.  I have kept the same WiFi name and password through four WiFi system replacements so that my devices do not have to be changed.  On the other hand, if you have few devices to update and would rather change to a new WiFi name, this is the time to do it.  Be especially careful when it comes to the Password Recovery screen. Deliberately "pull down" the menu, select questions, and enter responses you will be able to type in exactly the same way if ever needed.

Message 5 of 9
1042Havasu
Aspirant

Cannot figure out how to log in to orbi via ethernet/mac/safari. Crimpon if you're still there can you assist with directions? 

Message 6 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

(not a "Mac person", but I'll try)

The key is to point the web browser (Safari) at the Orbi router.

Most of the time, "http://orbilogin.net" works because the Orbi router translates this name to its own IP address.

If this doesn't work, then the trick is to find out the IP address of the Orbi router.

Most of the time, it is 192.168.1.1, so you would enter "http://192.168.1.1" into Safari.

If this does not work, then this is where my lack of "Apple Talk" (pun) is a problem.

On a PC, I would open a Command window and type in "ipconfig /all" which will tell me the IP address my computer has and the IP address of the gateway, which will be the Orbi router.

I cannot remember if you said the Orbi was "out of the box" or if it had already been set up as an Access Point, which makes a huge difference.

Message 7 of 9
1042Havasu
Aspirant

The Orbi is new out of the box yesterday. Cleared safari history, turned off wifi and tried to connect by Ethernet with the addresses you suggested and others that are in Orbi help page but no success.

On the Motorola router IPsec pass-through and PPTP pass-through are enabled. I also added the orbi’s MAC in the past through these Mac addresses section. Still no luck
Message 8 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

What does your Mac say the "gateway" IP address is?

I am not 100% confident that IPSec and PPTP are identical to "bridge mode".  (Is somebody out there following this and can correct me?)

OK.  Ethernet not working.  With the Orbi "new, out of the box", it will broadcast the WiFi name and password that is printed on the product label (on the bottom).  Use your Mac WiFi to connect and try "orbilogin.net".

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7