Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Trying to connect RBS20 Satellite to RBR50 - Shows Connection Type Offline

Trying to connect RBS20 Satellite to RBR50 - Shows Connection Type Offline

I have a functioning RBK50 with an RBR50 and RBS50.  I bought a used RBS20 which powers up and I was able to factory reset it.  When I look at my Orbi app, it shows as attached (connected) to the RBR50 but is "Connection Type Offline".  I'm not sure what I need to do next.

RBS20 Firmware is V2.2.1.210

Capture.JPG

Message 1 of 23
CrimpOn
Guru

What method did you use to sync the new satellite to the router?

Message 2 of 23
plemans
Guru

I would try hardwiring the rbs20 into your main orbi router and get your firmware updated on it. Its a bit behind. so I'd try updating the firmware, factory resetting the rbs20, and then try to pair it with the system.  

Message 3 of 23

I followed the Orbi app process on my iPhone.  Power on, wait, hit the Sync button, wait.  I consider myself capable with networks.  I can setup routers on a DMZ, create static IPs, and open/close ports, firmware, make my own RJ45 cables yada yada yada but I wasn't sure how to proceed next with Orbi.  Plus I've turned many of these "functions" over to my youngest son LOL.

Message 4 of 23

I will try to update the firmware....

Message 5 of 23
CrimpOn
Guru

Hmmm.  I use the web interface "Add a Satellite". 

Anyway.... You pressed the sync button on the satellite and on the router, correct?

Message 6 of 23

The first time I only pressed it on the satellite since the app only says to press that one and the router did not find the satellite.  The second time I started "what the hell" mode and started trying things so I pressed it on both the router and the satellite.  That time it found the satellite but there is no connection to it.  It shows up in the map.

1_LI.jpg2_LI.jpg3_LI.jpg

Message 7 of 23
CrimpOn
Guru

I should have included a link to the Netgear video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePZSc7vnRlQ 

Wow.  On my (Android) Orbi app, a solid line between router and satellite indicates a "wired" connection, a dotted line indicates a WiFi connection and (I think) a black line(?) indicates the satellite is supposed to be there but cannot be found, usually because it is turned off.

What kind of line does your app show?

Message 8 of 23

In the screen shots above it shows dashed lines to my satellites.  Of course the app doesn't say what that means, so, thank you!  And I'm pretty sure the Magenta next to thge RBS20 means offline but who knows.

Message 9 of 23
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@AllOuttaBbleGum wrote:

In the screen shots above it shows dashed lines to my satellites.  Of course the app doesn't say what that means, so, thank you!  And I'm pretty sure the Magenta next to thge RBS20 means offline but who knows.

Satellite ring LEDs

Solid white. Your Orbi satellite is powering up.
Pulsing magenta. When your Orbi satellite's ring LED pulses magenta for the first time, it means that your satellite is attempting to connect to your Orbi router. If the ring LED pulses magenta for more than one minute, it could be for the following reasons: the satellite lost the connection to the router or the satellite is unable to get an IP address from the router.
Solid magenta. Your Orbi satellite ring is solid magenta for 10 seconds if it is unable to obtain the IP address from the router.
Solid blue. If your Orbi satellite ring is solid blue for 10 seconds, the connection between your Orbi router and satellite is good.
Solid amber. If your Orbi satellite ring is solid amber for 10 seconds, the connection between the router and satellite is fair.

Message 10 of 23

Thanks.  It pulses White

Message 11 of 23
CrimpOn
Guru

Looking back through the posts, I do not see where you did a "factory reset" on the satellite. Fortunately, resetting the satellite does not require you to go through a lot of tedious setup like it does with the router.

https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings  The key (to me) is to hold the paperclip in that tiny reset hole until the Power LED turns amber, and then begins to flash.  Let go too soon, and it doesn't take.  On the web interface, I would tell Orbi to "forget" the satellite, but I do not see a similar command on the Orbi app.

Message 12 of 23

Yes, it is mentioned in the first post.  I did the factory reset twice- waited for the green, paper clip in and hold, got the blinking amber, then power down and up.  Could it be my power supply is failing?  I will swap it out with a known good one.

Message 13 of 23
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@AllOuttaBbleGum wrote:

Thanks.  It pulses White

Satellite and router ring LEDs

Pulsing white. Your Orbi router and satellite are applying a configuration or updating their firmware.
OFF. Your Orbi router and satellite are working normally.

Be patient?  🙂

Message 14 of 23
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@AllOuttaBbleGum wrote:

I have a functioning RBK50 with an RBR50 and RBS50. ... I'm not sure what I need to do next.

RBS20 Firmware is V2.2.1.210

Here is a suggestion, if you've done it, please ignore.

1. Download V2.2.1.210 for RBR50
  2. Shutdown all RBS50 if you have more than one RBS50
  3. Revert RBR50 to V2.2.1.210
  4. Try to sync it with RBS20 again (both should be on the same FW version now)

If RBR50 is able to talk/sync to RBS20, then upgrade RBS20 to the latest firmware before upgrade RBR50 firmware.  Make sure that RBR50 and all its RBSx0 are on the _same_ firmware version.

Good Luck!

Message 15 of 23

Thanks but I was hoping to avoid that rigamarole by going with an Orbi system in the first place.  My RBR50 has 2.3.5.30.

2.2.x seems like it is pretty old.  I'm not sure I want to try that.  Maybe I can do an ethernet connecion to the RBS20 and update just the satellite instead as plemens mentioned in post 3?

Message 16 of 23
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@AllOuttaBbleGum wrote:

Thanks but I was hoping to avoid that rigamarole by going with an Orbi system in the first place.  My RBR50 has 2.3.5.30.

2.2.x seems like it is pretty old.  I'm not sure I want to try that.

Actually, I am not suggesting you stay at that old version.  The main reason for rolling RBR50 back to 2.2.x so that it can sync and upgrade the firmware on RBS20 from 2.2.x to the latest FW version.  The reason that RBR50 fails to sync with RBS20 could be due to different FW versions between RBR50 and RBS20.

After you upgrade RBS20 to the latest firmware, you can upgrade RBR50 back to the latest version.  The pupose is to get all to the latest firmware so that can talk/sync to each other.

Message 17 of 23
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@AllOuttaBbleGum wrote:

... Maybe I can do an ethernet connecion to the RBS20 and update just the satellite instead as plemens mentioned in post 3?

Yes, it's definitely worth a try because this is much faster and simpler method.  If all else fails, you can try rolling RBR50 back method...

Good Luck!

Message 18 of 23

Well guess what?  Before I could do anything we discussed, I just checked and now the RBS20 is at V2.3.5.26.  It sill shows Connection Type: Offline though.  I tried a factory reset and re-synced it but the app said it couldn't find any satellites so I went back to the network map and there it was.  Map I am not resetting it like I think I am.  Hold paperclip in until green turns to flashing amber, yes?  Then power cycle?

Message 19 of 23
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

So it's actually doing firmware update while it's pulsing white.  Smiley Happy

You're one step closer.  You don't need to power cycle.  Just stick/hold the paper clip until it blinks amber and release it.  Then go to the Orbi UI (not Orbi App) and remove the RBS20 from RBR50 memory.  Then try to add new Satellite from there.  Just give it time to sync/dance with each other, which could take a while.

Message 20 of 23

Thanks!  I will give that a go and report back.

Message 21 of 23

No luck.  I think I will return it an get a new RBS50.  Thanks  for the great help!

Message 22 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

One thing to try with the RBS or any future RBS that is out of date, or not at the same FW version level as the rest of the system. If a RBS won't sync if it's out of date, you can always download the updated FW files for the RBS from NGs web site first. Then connect a wired LAN cable PC to the back of the RBS, do a factory reset on the RBS and just let it sit there. Takes about 4-5 minutes before it's down little DHCP services kicks in and your PC will get an IP address. You should then be able to log into the RBSs web page at I believe 192.168.250.1 and update the FW using the RBSs web page feature there. Onces it's loaded, do a factory reset on the RBS. Disconnect the wired PC from the RBS then use the sync process normally to get the RBS connected to the RBR. 

Good Luck. 

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7