Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Trying to connect RBS40 to RBR20

bob999
Aspirant

Trying to connect RBS40 to RBR20

I have a working RBR20 and RBS20 system. I have acquired an RBS40 as an additional satellite. I cannot get the RBS40 to connect to the network. The Orbi app sees the RBS40 but the connection type is offline. I have tried to connect with the Orbi app, by synching the router and then the satellite, by synching the satellite and then the router. I have reset the satellite, all to no avail. Any suggestions? Why does the app see the RBS40, but the router does not?

The RBR20 firmware is V2.6.2.104

The RBS40 firmware is V2.2.0.58

Thanks

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Trying to connect RBS40 to RBR20

What you need to do is factory reset the RBS. Wire connect a PC to the 1st satellite. Already have the most current FW version files downloaded on to this PC. 

Wire connect 1 PC to the back of the RBS. Factory reset the RBS, wait about 5 minutes. The PC will get a IP address from the satellite. The RBS will be 192.168.1.250. Use this IP address in a web browser to log in to the satellites web page. Log in as admin and password. Use the satellites web page FW update feature to select the FW update file that was unpacked from the .zip file. Then factory reset and then re-sync the satellites to the RBR. 

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 10

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Your RBS40 needs to be updated to same v104 version of FW as the RBR. 

Youll need to use a wired PC and web browser and manually update the RBS40:

https://kb.netgear.com/000037217/How-do-I-check-and-manually-upgrade-the-firmware-on-my-Orbi-satelli...

Message 2 of 10
bob999
Aspirant

I have reset my router because I was locked out with the password. I can access it now. Can you explain more about connecting directly to the satellite with a cable? I have done that but I cannot figure out how to access the satellite.

Thanks

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

Look for the IP address of the RBS on the connected devices page on the RBR. Use this IP address to connect in a web browser.

Message 4 of 10
bob999
Aspirant

Since I reset the router, it lost the connection to the new satellite. I have tried several ways to pair it to no avail. Can I connect the router and the satellite with a LAN cable to find it? Is there another way to pair the satellite?

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure RBR and RBS are using same version of FW. 

Wireless sync first should work.

Message 6 of 10
bob999
Aspirant

I know I need to get the firmware to the same level. I had to factory reset to get back into the admin account on the router. Since then, I cannot get the RBS40 to be seen by the router. I have done the reset button on the RBS40. I have tried to sync through the admin account and through the app with no recognition of the RBS40.

Is there another way to get into the RBS40 to update the firmware or wake it up? Can I connect a LAN cable to the RBS40?

All the RBS40 seems to do is flash the white light.

Thanks.

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What you need to do is factory reset the RBS. Wire connect a PC to the 1st satellite. Already have the most current FW version files downloaded on to this PC. 

Wire connect 1 PC to the back of the RBS. Factory reset the RBS, wait about 5 minutes. The PC will get a IP address from the satellite. The RBS will be 192.168.1.250. Use this IP address in a web browser to log in to the satellites web page. Log in as admin and password. Use the satellites web page FW update feature to select the FW update file that was unpacked from the .zip file. Then factory reset and then re-sync the satellites to the RBR. 

Message 8 of 10
bob999
Aspirant

Thanks for all your help. Nothing worked. I wound up exchnging the RBS40 for a different one. That one worked right out of the box. Thanks once again for trying. All your suggestions were very good.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like the one RBS was faulty. Glad you got one that works. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7