Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Trying to connect my ORBI to my modem to see my home cameras

rbaron
Tutor

Trying to connect my ORBI to my modem to see my home cameras

My goal here is to see my home cameras. That being said, here is the issue.

I used to have an Apple Airport Extreme Router but I changed it to the ORBI AC 3000 Router with two satellites. I also have a Centurylink Modem.

Before changing the routers, I was able to see my home cameras using my iOS app.

In the modem I have two ports forwarded. Port 80 and port 37777. There is also a field when forwarding the ports for an IP address. This is where my problem comes in. I don't know what to set this IP address to on my modem.

I am also wondering if I have to open ports on my ORBI router. How to do that I am not sure because again, I don't know what to put into the IP address field. Should it be the IP address of the ports I opened in my modem? Or should I open the ports in my ORBI and then open the same ports in my modem?

I believe the IP address I have, which I don't know how to find on my ORBI may be different then the IP addresses I used to open the ports on my modem.

Any help will be appreciated.....

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Trying to connect my ORBI to my modem to see my home cameras

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem? Built in router here?

What mfr and model are these cameras?

Message 2 of 10
rbaron
Tutor

The modem is a Centurylink modem Model# C2000T. As far as the cameras, I am not sure.

I know it is just a setting somewhere. I have the ports open on the modem. Port 80 and 37777. The IP address is set to 192.168.0.20.

On my ORBI router, I know how to open the port 80 and 37777 but the IP address I am not sure of. Should I set it to the same as the modem? Using 192.168.0.20? Because the ORBI I THINK uses the 192.168.1.xxx scheme. Would changing it to the xxx.xxx.0,20 scheme work?

Thanks for the help

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ISP modem is a gateway router already. So you have two routers online thus a double NAT condition. You need to try one of the following:

1. Bridge the ISP modem.

2. If the modem can't be bridged, use it's DMZ for the IP address that the Orbi router gets from the ISP modem.

3. Use the modem as your main router and configure the Orbi router for AP mode.

Message 4 of 10
rbaron
Tutor

I'll need to do some research on how to do the things you suggested.

Thanks mu

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it turns out...

Message 6 of 10
rbaron
Tutor

Ok, after some fiddling with all the settings I was able to get it to work.

The DVR was set to xxx.xxx.1.20 So I needed to forward the port on my ORBI to xxx.xxx.1.20.

On my Centurylink modem, I had to port forward xxx.xxx.0.58 because that was what the modem gave the router as an IP address.

So the ORBI is a .1.xxx device and the modem is a .0.xxx device.

Anyway I got it to work and I am happy.

Thanks much...... Rich

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

So is your modem still in router mode or did you set up the modems DMZ for the IP address of the Orbi router? If you are using the modem in router mode and using the Orbi in router mode, you'll need to use the modems DMZ for the Orbi router. This will help with these issues.

Message 8 of 10
rbaron
Tutor

No, I did not set up the modems DMZ for the IP address of the Orbi router. It was like this:

DVR is set to 192.168.1.20. This is the IP address given to the DVR by the Orbi.

Orbi port forwarding was set to 192.168.1.20, with two ports open.

Modem port forwarding was set to 192.168.0.58, the IP address of the Orbi.

I hope that makes sense because it works and I am happy.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

I would later on set up the DMZ on the modem if your going to use the Orbi router in router mode. Will help since you have two routers on the same network line.

Enjoy.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7