Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Trying to get 1 gig out of my Orbi WiFi connection.

RodGolding
Aspirant

Trying to get 1 gig out of my Orbi WiFi connection.

Just signed up with Comcast/Xfinity Gig service in the Houston area. I am using a Netgear CM1000 for a cable modem along with a Orbi RBK50/RBS50 system. The best I hve been able to get in WiFi is 350-400 incoming and 35 outgoing. The outgoing is what they limit it to so I can't change that. However the incoming falls way short. They have assured me that the modem is connected to the gig service. I have not plugged into the back of the Orbi yet. Is there limited to the Orbi or is it limits on WiFi?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
st_shaw
Master

Re: Trying to get 1 gig out of my Orbi WiFi connection.

Having the 2.4 GHz OFF makes no difference.

WiFi is inherently limited to 50-60% of the link rate. So, yes you can get more throughput if you use a combination of router and client device that both support a higher link rate than Orbi's 867 Mbps.

Orbi is designed for good coverage of a large area, not for peak speed for a single client connection.  

Your Nighthawk claims to support a link rate of 2166 Mbps.  This requires a client that supports 1024QAM modulation.  It's unlikely you have a client that supports that. If you did, you'd need to use it very close to the router to get that link rate.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
st_shaw
Master

Your Orbi WiFi is working properly at near maximum speed.  Orbi's maximum link speed on 5 GHz is 867 Mbps.  You will only ever see throughput of 50% to 60% of the link speed under ideal conditions, due to the overhead involved in the WiFi protocol.

Message 2 of 4
RodGolding
Aspirant

So this is a limit in WiFi it self. Does it make any difference if the 2.5 GHZ is on or off. Also would it make any difference if I went back to my Nighthawk AC5300?

Message 3 of 4
st_shaw
Master

Having the 2.4 GHz OFF makes no difference.

WiFi is inherently limited to 50-60% of the link rate. So, yes you can get more throughput if you use a combination of router and client device that both support a higher link rate than Orbi's 867 Mbps.

Orbi is designed for good coverage of a large area, not for peak speed for a single client connection.  

Your Nighthawk claims to support a link rate of 2166 Mbps.  This requires a client that supports 1024QAM modulation.  It's unlikely you have a client that supports that. If you did, you'd need to use it very close to the router to get that link rate.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7