Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Trying to replace Frontier modem/router with Orbi CBK 752

Lottasap
Aspirant

Trying to replace Frontier modem/router with Orbi CBK 752

Prior to getting the Orbi with built in modem I upgraded my service to 500/500mbps and the installer wired the supplied modem/router via the coax and a moca via Ethernet cable to an ONT port. The Orbi doesn’t have an ONT port so I am not sure how to proceed.
Thank you for any assistance.
Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Trying to replace Frontier modem/router with Orbi CBK 752

The Orbi CBK752 is designed to replace an ISP cable modem. i.e. the device that connects to the coax cable coming from the ISP network into your house.  It is not designed to connect to a fiber optic system.

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/orbi/CBK752.pdf 

The installation guide has instructions to connect the router directly to a cable TV outlet (or the coax cable if there is not an outlet).

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/CBK752/CBK752_QSG_EN.pdf 

Notice that none of the pictures show a WAN (yellow) ethernet jack on the back of the router.

The installer did not do you any favors by placing the fiber ONT where it is not close to your preferred router location, and using the building coax wiring via MoCHA adapters to bring an ethernet link inside the house where it currently connects to their router.  To replace their router, you need a WiFi system that connects via ethernet, not a coax connector.  This Orbi will not work.

Sorry. You did not want to hear this.

Message 2 of 3
Lottasap
Aspirant

Re: Trying to replace Frontier modem/router with Orbi CBK 752

I was afraid that was going to be the answer.
Thank you for your time in answering it for me
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7